šŸ Le Mirage

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
224.jpg

Le Mirage is a fully restored 1982 Peugeot 12-speed Road Bike.

Its Build Off title is an amalgam of the names given to it in the French and English Peugeot brochures of the day. In French itā€™s a PBN10S and in the English version it's simply ā€˜Mirageā€™.

It came about because I wanted to add a road bike to my fleet of bicycles. I bought it from a junk yard operator in slightly damaged and run-down condition for $110 after trying a few modern carbon and aluminium framed machines ā€“ which I found very harsh to ride. But I saw its build off potential as soon as I laid eyes on it and handed over the money straight away. No haggling.

The bike comes from an interesting era in Peugeotā€™s history. Some see those times (early 80s) as marking the beginning of the end of the hugely successful French factory, where declining sales meant that the Steel frames were offered to save costs.

It was touted in the marketing as Carbolite 103 ā€“ high carbon steel, but the critics (mainly Reynolds enthusiasts) called it ā€˜Pig Ironā€™.

The rise of better-quality Japanese components and indexed gears (Shimano) also meant that the Simplex systems and Wiemann brakes fell even further behind ā€“ on the Tour, road and showroom floor.

You can still buy Peugeot bicycles today, but the original entity that started in 1882 (100 years before Le Mirage) was essentially closed in 1990 and the naming rights re-acquired.

Even for a vintage, the bike really is very enjoyable to ride, and Iā€™ve already clocked up heaps of kilometres aboard. It is different to modern machines however. The toe clips and Friction shifters mean that you must think ahead more ā€“ but the steel frame is comfortable, forgiving and the geometry is tight with quick steering and solid cruising.

At 6ā€™4ā€ I would have preferred a slightly larger frame than its ā€˜Largeā€™ 58cm, but with the taller and slightly laid-back seat post, and a taller handlebar stem, I find it fits well now and I really like the lines and presentation.

I spent a lot of time refurbishing, polishing and painting - and have bought parts and detail pieces from all over the world for this build, in fact all-up it has cost me somewhat more than some of the modern bikes I tried, but they didnā€™t make my heart sing like my shiny French Hot Rod does.

Viva Le Mirage!

Build journal:
https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/šŸ-le-mirage-šŸ.118338/
finished.jpg

I have really enjoyed spending time in the workshop with this one.

f2.jpg

Choices of extras.
f3.jpg

f4.jpg

214.jpg

Progress:
186.jpg

164.jpg

Before and afters:
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

9.jpg

Some of the process:
monatge.jpg

Cheers,
Dave.

Attachments

• 204.jpg
    204.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 205.jpg
    205.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 150.jpg
    150.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 0
  • bbb.jpg
    bbb.jpg
    813.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Yeah good on ya BDC, thats a great looking bike, ya know its taken me back a bit looking at this because I now remember the bar wrap that used to be on just about every 10 speed and up when I was kid! nice one!
Im with the others on the pics, stand out pics I must say, captured everything in absolute detail! well done on the whole project.
Loved the video too mate! you been hanging at movieworld or something LOL.

beauty! I had this bike in black when new. It was my first real road bike.

Well executed, nothing better than resuscitating a old bike back.
And I agree the photo number 2 of last 4 shots. Is the best.

Besides building up a great bike, your photography is fantastic. I might borrow some of your collage and collection ideas.

This would be a nice accessory for your pouch..

20230731_085439.jpg

The bike is a beauty, a 'French connection' with an English twist!

Superb execution! šŸ‘Œ

Latest posts

Back