1 1/8 fork in a 1" frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know someone out there has done this. But I can't seem to find any info on it. I need to put a 1 1/8 fork into a 1" frame. Seems like the headset could be thinned a bit and the frame filed out a bit.

Thoughts?

I've got a Retro Ryder; worked perfectly in a Chicago Schwinn. Too loose for a Worksman. Won't work at all in the vast majority of 1" frames made since 1980, or virtually ANY frame made overseas, ever.

If you must try to do this, the best bet is to modify the headset, or buy the pre-modified Retro Ryder (I'm pretty sure Rev106 just turns a Sunlite-branded headset on a lathe). I know that everyone loves to mod their frames, but let's face it: they don't make cool old frames anymore. If you want to chop and/or stretch your frame, go right ahead: you can't chop or stretch a frame without frame mods. But, if all you're trying to do is run a new fork in an old frame, why not mod the cheap and easily replaced headset rather than the frame?

B/c, really, you don't have to mod the frame to accomplish whatever confused Klunker misinterpretation fantasies you might be harboring.

Latest posts

Back