1" Springer fork into a 1 1/8" head

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get a Schwinn cruiser with a good selection of gears, but I also want it to have a set of springer forks. I can't seem to find one with both. I was thinking about installing a set of springers on a Schwinn Panther.

Problem is the Panther takes a 1 1/8 inch fork, stem, all that. Springer forks are readily available but they're all for a 1 inch head. There are a few for 1 1/8 but they're difficult to find and out of my price bracket. I also know that I can get head tube reducers to adapt them.

So can I fit a 1 inch fork into a 1 1/8 inch bike? What do I need to do it? Do I need to replace the handlebars or can they be fitted to a new stem?

Headtube reducers I know about. What I need to know is what else I need to make it work. What about the headset and stem? Do I need new handlebars as well?

BrendanL said:
Headtube reducers I know about. What I need to know is what else I need to make it work. What about the headset and stem? Do I need new handlebars as well?

You made no mention and the question was so basic I assumed you didn't. Outside of making sure that headtube/problem-solvers/stem diameters match-up the rest of the parts are up to you whether you want/need a new headset. Handlebars are the same situation, whether you have something that matches available 1" quill stem clamp diameters or you are using a 1" to 1 1/8" stem adapter for something different. Once again, no mention of what you had already.

Thanks for the advice. 1 1/8 springers seem the easier way to go simply because I don't need anything to convert them over, except that out my way they're like buying hen's teeth. 1 inch springers are plentiful but require more work and expense. Maybe I'm best spending more time to get a matching fork. Thanks again.

Back