10 dollar 2-speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
so I stopped in at the local goodwill warehouse today(once a week thing). decided to buy a beat up old girls Schwinn for 10 bucks. got it home and looked it over. bam! bendix automatic 2-speed. thru it on my Hiawatha 3-speed frame along with some other misc. parts and instant rider. 2-speed works great, nice and smooth.

I still haven't found a kickback. I really want to try one someday

the only thing about the 2-speeds that is annoying to me is sometimes or most of the time, when you brake, it shifts. no big problem, I just kick back again:D

My son and I recently bought a complete and ride-able '62 Schwinn American with a Bendix 2-speed coaster brake hub. We got it and a rough-but-restorable Columbia Gaucho muscle bike for $55 while on a family vacation-good thing we had the bike carrier with us!

Your old original 2 speed probably needs rebuilt. Surprised it still works. Might have been serviced sometime recently too.
You'll get used to braking with the 2 speed. You'll plan your braking to keep from shifting as much. Also, if you get a front brake and use it, you won't have to shift as much. Gary

Back