$10 huffy at the second hand store

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Found an orange 24" Huffy 10 speed at the local thrift store today for $10. Nothing special but it had a generator and light on it so I figured those have got to be worth the $10. So I bought it.

I get it home and start cleaning it up to throw it on C-list without the light and generator and get
my $10 back, as I'm scrubbing the wheels I see Araya stamped in them! Tires are like NEW! and it has some old-school white grips that look more cruiser than 10 speed. So I took the grips off and threw them in my toolbox for later. I look over the components it's ALL Shimano stuff!

Finally I pull my 24" Schwinn frame from the shed and start swapping parts onto it. Figure I'll get more out of a Schwinn than a Huffy. And I got a generator and light basically for free! I'll get pics of the scavenged huffy tomarrow. I found some more parts cleaning out the shed so I may build it too.

P9130163.jpg

Rims were a little rusted but a good toothbrush scrubbing took it right off
P9130158.jpg

P9130162.jpg

Scrubbed off rust with toothbrush? Did you use toothpaste too? I know toothpaste has some grit in it. I have been using a copper pan scrubber to take rust off, some steel wool too.

I guess the non abrasive way would be a toothbrush and vinegar, but from my experience the vinegar has to sit on it for a little while to work.

yoothgeye said:
Scrubbed off rust with toothbrush? Did you use toothpaste too? I know toothpaste has some grit in it. I have been using a copper pan scrubber to take rust off, some steel wool too.

I guess the non abrasive way would be a toothbrush and vinegar, but from my experience the vinegar has to sit on it for a little while to work.

Nope I scrub it with the bristles to remove the dirt and then actually use the plastic to scrape the rust off. it is soft enough it won't scratch the chrome but solid enough it'll pop the rust right off.

Here's the scavenged carcass of the huffy
P9140174.jpg

my generator and light
P9140177.jpg

had some cool grips too
P9140183.jpg

arlingtonchopshop said:
outskirtscustoms said:
I look over the components it's ALL Shimano stuff!

Just because its Shimano doesn't mean its good.
Don't matter now I got rid of the bike. But very true, on the other hand Shimano sounds better than Huffy....lol. :wink:

Back