122 or 122.5 bb spindle length

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I have a crankset that requires a 122 mm bb spindle can I use a 122.5? Will half a mm really throw off my chainline that much? I need a threadless bb or an 70mm spindle and I don't see any 122mm available

Thxcuz said:
If I have a crankset that requires a 122 mm bb spindle can I use a 122.5? Will half a mm really throw off my chainline that much? I need a threadless bb or an 70mm spindle and I don't see any 122mm available

You'll be fine, assuming 122.5 is ideal, 122 will be close enough. (Any issues with non-symetrical spindles notwithstanding...)

Or, if your threads are intact and you really have an Italian BB shell (which is what a 70 is), then get this all-aluminum Shimano for $24.xx: http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=437158

The Sun thing is for situations where the threads are buggered or you got something whitworth or french or swiss that's gonna make your life suck. The Italian shells are a little annoying, but threads are good.

It's actually swiss bottom bracket. It's 68mm but the cups have thinner walls so a Japaneese 70mm spindle works in this situation. At least according to Sheldon Brown.

Thxcuz said:
It's actually swiss bottom bracket. It's 68mm but the cups have thinner walls so a Japaneese 70mm spindle works in this situation. At least according to Sheldon Brown.

Oh, well then your life sucks b/c SB was talking about the older loose-ball BB's with the detachable spindle. :D Take your cups out and go threadless. At this point, that'd e easiest and cheapest.

Back