12v Portable power supply for your bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
youre gonna need a few things first. i learned the hardway that usb devices do not handle 12v good thing i got that money back.

12v sealed lead acid battery the biggest one is 9lbs if you want that go ahead its about the size of a lawn tractor battery you can get lower voltage ones but you loose storage capacity and power hours.
you can get it at frys if theres one by you or a store that specializes on alarm and fire alarm products.
5etvmr.jpg

12v lighter socket i got mine at napa about 11.00 the napa version doesnt have a inline fuse and radioshack stopped selling sockets last year.
1269244337894_hz_myalibaba_web7_4750.jpg

inline fuse got it at pep boys
1zykop1.jpg

16 gauge wire
basic wiring tools:
wire striper
dikes
16g terminals butt terminals and 3mm terminals

before i did anything i figured im gonna move this around a lot so i cut wires about 3 feet long even though the socket wont be hooked up past the seat. i also have a bag to hold this stuff and you guys should too so ill skip that step.

this is gonna be quick

1st thing i did was cut the wires 3 feet long then add spade terminals for the battery.

*skip this step if your socket has a inline fuse*
then i spliced the inline fuse to the red wire using the butt connectors.

once that was done i took the 12v socket wires and sliced them into the 3feet of wire.

on the 12v socket theres going to be 2 terminal leads sticking out

red goes to the center and black goes to the outside.

after that you should be set 8) have fun
you can either add a 3 12 socket for a ton of stuff or a cheap inverter and run what ever you like. as i get experience playing with it ill add more stuff like lights and such

heres what i spent so far
battery 26$
12v socket 10$
inline fuse 4$
wire 12$
terminals and fuses 10$
the usb plug is 4$
and usb speakers 15$
total spent 81$ im sure it can be cheaper if youre lucky to score this stuff of craigslist or ebay

Back