$15 Flea market find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took my daughter out this afternoon to see what parts I could wrangle up and happened upon this one. I thought long and hard...for 10 or 15 seconds and we were on our way home. This is it as i bought it. Not too bad as is, uploading pics of it after a quick dig through my parts stash.
downsized_Image02112012155510.jpg

First order of business was to replace bars and seat. This is where I stand so far. Plenty of ideas for this build, we'll see where i end up going. Ill work on an I.D. when i start taking it apart.
IMG_2786.jpg
IMG_2788.jpg

That is a late 80s-early 90s Huffy built bike. Not bad!

I had an idea it was a Huffy. The sprocket is exactly the same as one i have on a kids huffy bike Im using for parts. As far as paint Im leaning towards primer red, black and maybe white walls. As mentioned earlier, buying a tire will cost as much as the bike itself. Mocked it up earlier with a banana seat and wasnt totally feeling it but still an option. I dug the lugged fork too. Had my eye on a 26" woman's Vista Sophisticate, lugged frame and fork too.

I'm working on a project for my wife, kind of a vintage hybrid-cruiser thing, it's a long story that I plan to put in the build section after I get the frame situated. Anyhow, I was really hoping to find a lugged fork like that - they really seem to be fairly uncommon for the 26" wheel size, unless you look at the lightweights... so sweet score on your part!!!

Hope your paint idea works out! Are you thinking of doing a rub-through paint look for the red primer into black? That would be pretty cool! If it were me, and sadly it is not, I'd deck that thing our with a skinny (1.5" or so) front and either one of those old school looking slicks (Jerrald or something like that?) or a big fat downhill tire. And a road drop stem if you have one - get it down into a mean looking position. I actually have a black & scrappy specialized stem I'd be happy to donate! Just my thoughts, pretty cool start to a $15 flea market find! Have fun!!!

Pending white walls and grips, this one is done. I will post my build thread tomorrow. Limited to posting from my blackberry and haven't figured out how to post pics from it.One "Bad" Rat pics tomorrow....

http://emob1228.photobucket.com/albums/ ... S5qcGc.jpg
Laptop is still being worked on so this what I can post with my blackberry. Just picked up the Kenda white walls yesterday and found the seat for $5 at the scrap yard by my house!!! Once I fix or replace laptop ill post full thread.

Laptop is operational, high res pics coming tomorrow. I am stoked on how this one turned out being my first 26" build. Needless to say, Ive been bit by the bug.....

Back