$15 Hiawatha

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...just picked up this $15 Hiawatha today from an old guy in a nearby town who sells lotsa bikes; it's a bit ruff but it'll come around;...I'm gonna lose the fenders and clean it up and ride it.
bikes164.jpg

You scored a reasonably rare frame. Does it have a Hiawatha badge and can you tell the badge is original?

Typically that frame/bike was sold as the Hawthorne All American and was built by Cleveland Welding (Some may have also been produced by Snyder, I'm still investigating that). The design was patented in 1940 by Walter Dorwin Teague and according to the Ward's catalog was partially the result of a poll of American boys to find out the looks and features they most desired in a new bike. Originally the bike was exclusive to Ward's and never offered by CWC as an in-house Roadmaster counterpart. I have a late frame (1942ish) that is badged for Western Autos as a Western Flyer so at some point the model was offered beyond just Hawthorne branding. These bikes were top-of the line bikes for Montgomery Wards and sold in reasonably small numbers between early 1940 and the end of 1941. The frame is one of only two CWC produced prewar straight-bar designs. Both prewar designs use unique (and rare) tanks that are not interchangeable with each other or the common postwar straight-bar tanks

I'm interested in two things; I assume the frame is CWC , proof would be in the configuration of the upper rear fender bridge which I assume is a piece of straight tubing rather than arched to follow the cross-section of the fender. The second thing would be the serial number information from the bottom bracket to see how the frame dates out and compares with others.

Good score even outside of the low price!

hey, thanks for the replies;...the old guy told me it was a Hiawatha but the badge on front says "Wards Hawthorne"...it's in good shape and looks orig...it looks brass.
the numbers on bottom of the crank housing read as: o4EH
bikes170.jpg

...the fenders are peaked but the front one was notched to fit the front fork which looks newer to me; and the fork hits the frame when you turn it about 45 degrees either way.
...in the rear the fender mounts behind the seat post is curved, the bottom mount is a strate tube.
,,,this frame was broken and has been welded near the seat post and on the sprocket side of the rear bottom leg. It does have a non-skip chain and rear dropouts.
...I have removed the fenders, you int.?
Thanks for any more info.

Thanks for the additional information and the serial number. If you don’t mind, I would love a photo for my archives/records that shows the curved upper rear fender bridge.

I’m always excited when something surfaces that proves a theory I have and this bike is the first to prove that the Hawthorne All American model was produced for Montgomery Ward by both H.P. Snyder and Cleveland Welding. You have the Snyder version which explains why the fenders and stays are their pattern rather than the CWC pattern. The bike probably was fitted with a springer front fork originally and that would explain why this one doesn’t fit quite right. The tab welded to the underside if the down tube is where a fork lock was originally mounted.

I’ve noted on this site in other posts that Snyder serial numbers are still a mystery but I believe the one on your bike means the bike was produced during 1940.

I’ll try to post a catalog picture of the bike when I get a chance.

RMS37,...thanks for that info; I'll get pics tomoro.
Bigblockthing,...sent you a PM...contact me at [email protected] if you like, I'll send pics

Back