1901 REAR Steer tandem.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Well on the heels of the build off, I decided to pull the tandem out of the shed rafters and get started on it. Before last night I hadn't done anything to it since I picked it up last October and it may take until next October to complete. This build will not be like Stock Isn't was but more stockish unless I get the bug for it.
The frame has some issues two busted welds on the ladies half and a busted lug in the center. It has also been painted multiple times none of which were any good. I started to tear it down last night and finally found a date code on it. It was on the front set of handle bars and mark Pat. 1901 so I'm going with 1901 as the date of prod. Im looking over each piece very carefully for any more date help. I was hoping the rear set of bars would also have a date, but they are completely different mounting style. The shape is the same though and I believe they are original to the bike. It also has 2 different sizes of skip tooth block chain, the front is 1 inch by 3/16 and the rear chain is 1 inch by 1/4. I didnt really plan on using the original block chains but now I guess I will have to unless I can find some 1/4 inch wide chain.
IMG_0798_zps7f84f6ff.jpg

IMG_0799_zps62c3bb77.jpg

IMG_0800_zpsfe82f2fe.jpg

IMG_0803_zpsf5d02626.jpg

Rear handle bar mounting.
IMG_0805_zps5338e4fc.jpg

Front BB
IMG_0806_zps258b6115.jpg

Current Progress
IMG_0808_zps612e7ca6.jpg

IMG_0807_zps4a82a38e.jpg

So the build name here is.... Stock Is? Never seen a rear steer tandem, i love it!! I bet the rear rider can really mess with the front rider!!

aratman said:
I'd name it "Back Seat Driver"
Thats a good one.

Started looking into chains for it, not looking good. They are Really Pricey will have to save up some cash for them. It takes 2 different widths of skip tooth chain. Not going to stop on everything else though. Maybe do some more disassembly tomorrow evening. Start cleaning up some parts here soon as well.

Wow! What a cool bike! It looks to me like the driver and stoker can steer? That is cool!
I bet there will be some more unusual challenges to be found yet, but so worth it when it is done!!!

Luke.

Back