1919 Elgin - Big Wheeled Street Rod?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this frame off ebay a while back; my idea for it was to make it
look as original as possible, but lighter, faster, better brakes etc.

Specs are: Velocity P35 700C rims, Velo Orange crank and Left Bank handlebars,
SRAM P5 hub with coaster brake, Sturmey-Archer front drum, Schwalbe Road Cruiser
tires in cream, and a replica luggage rack made of aluminum made by myself.

I'm still scraping up enough money for nickel plating, and a seat. Paint is done except
for the black pinstripes and painting the rack red.

I used automotive paint with a catalysed clearcoat; primer was a high build epoxy primer,
which was needed to fill in all the pits on the frame and fork.

DSCN0528-1.jpg

DSCN0532-1.jpg

DSCN0538-1.jpg

DSCN0559.jpg

DSCN0560.jpg

DSCN0562.jpg

Handlebars and alloy stem; the handlebars will be extended by a couple of inches
and will have lighted glass jeweled ends. I'm also making a semi replica of a battery
canister from an old tea tin, and a authentic-looking headlight and rear reflector.

DSCN0563.jpg

I made the rack using the shear, bending brake and punch at work; still a few pieces
to fabricate.

DSCN0564.jpg

DSCN0565.jpg

The bike will be getting a bottom bracket conversion to go with the new crank.

I'm hoping this will make a nice, comfortable touring/cruising bike for me, for taking
longer trips than I do now. I love the idea of having an adult-sized bike; and the fact
that it is so old is a real trip!

Man, that's a cool bike. Great job on the restoration so far.
I was thinking of doing that paint scheme with my Schwinn motorbike but I didn't think I could pull it off, so I went with a simpler design. :shock:

I've made some progress on the Elgin.

I finished fabricating the rack, and painted it:

rackpainted_zpsaecfa694.jpg

I was agonizing over the pin striping; I even emailed some guy who was supposed to be
famous about doing them for me, but he never replied, so I did it myself using masking
tape. The wheels were the worst; 700C rims seem like they're 50 feet in diameter when your
applying 1/8" wide masking tape. The frame was the worst too :roll: The fenders were easy :D
Saving money by doing it by myself is the best!

The payoff:

rimpaint_zpsba71fc69.jpg

rimpaintall_zpsd989f3fc.jpg

pin3_zps1591269c.jpg

pin2_zps02caec0b.jpg

pin1_zpse8fa938a.jpg

pin4_zpsb9e5cb95.jpg

fenderpaint_zps78a50f27.jpg

A few goodies for the bike

goodies_zps0a0a7da7.jpg

The target weight is 38 lbs, same as my Schwinn Collegiate.

The headlight will be a modified Soviet era photo flash light I bought from some guy
in Lithuania; It looks just like one of the antique electric bike lights. The battery canister
will be made out of a couple of tea canisters spliced together with lithium ion innards.

The next big step is ordering the spokes; this will be my first wheel build.

Wow! What a pro build. Beautiful, stylish and makes me want to slow down and do it right!

Absolutely beautiful!!!!!! That's the same paint scheme as the 1915-1921 Sears Chief's (made by Davis Sewing Machine) as well. I think yours is a Westfield made Elgin. Great job, I'm loving it!!!!!!! Pre-1933 bikes are my favorites as I'm currently restoring three of them with 700c rims.

Thanks for the nice words :)

I'm double checking the calculations for the spoke length
today. Also a bit of wet sanding and polishing on the rack.

Does anyone know some good sources for spokes/nipples? In
stainless? I'm going to be using the thickest spokes that will fit;
I think 14 gauge.

Super sweet work!!
I am going to have to remember that rack. It would be easy to build out of alum flatbar and basic tools as well.
Bravo!!!!

Back