1920s Hawthorne Flyer Project!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this hawthorne frame/fork/crank set/seat/bars/stem/ badge from a friend on here and turned it into a roadster of sorts. It rides GREAT!! I didnt take too many pictures but the first is from day one assembling it from the ground up, and fit checking the rear wheel.

The wheel set is a 700c wheelset with a coaster brake rear hub, 3/8s axles. The hub spacing is much narrower on the new rear wheel than the frames drop outs are, so I basically shimmed the wheel by putting washers between the hub jam nut and inside of the drop out, on both sides. It centered up very nicely, thankfully. The front wheel I had to remove the jam nuts in order for the wheel to fit because the fork legs are more narrow than the hub. I also had to have my buddy grind the 3/8s axle down (more slot the axle) to fit the fork. The tires are 700c-35mms.

I put some new repop pedals and new repop grips on it for now but they are subject to change. I'm going to make some fork braces and a new stem bracket, and some truss rods for it. Pics to come whenever that happens.

The bike seriously rides SUPER awesome. My buddies that have seen and ridden it want it. Im pretty happy with it.

as it sits now

Thank you me too! It was total chance that those tires are all the shop really had in the size. Its awesome

Dang, that thing is effin sick!! I just did a similar build but with an old murray built diamond frame, I put new 26" wheels with white 26x1.5 tires on it. That frameset is awesome.

Back