1930 Columbia Arch-Bar by Westfield Mfg. - My 2013 build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here she is, fork is wrong and will be changed but this is my next build, a 1930 Columbia Archbar. This bike will be a very LONG-TERM build but already had 2 hard to find parts for it when I bought the frame. It will go back to original specs & will be a great match to my 1930 Hartford. I will probably be looking for a donor bike to complete this one at some stage.

IMG_0405.jpg

Thought I'd share the 2 parts I have so far:

(1) Columbia Wings Ornament - Used on new Columbia bicycles mounted on front of handlebar stem from 1929-1931.

IMG_0379.jpg

1930Columbia11_4.jpg

(2) Columbia Pedals - Columbia used these from 1925 (I believe) through 1930 (am sure changed in 1931 to new style pedal). They are aluminum frames. Patent date of Dec. 16, 1924. The rubber pedal blocks are hard as coal and falling apart. They are the same exact size as Torrington 10s but completely different in that they had slots on outer edges rather than a shaft down the middle. They had a square cutout down the middle to be flexible enough to force them in the frame. Also had Columbia script on them in center of pedal block top & bottom. They also came in red block versions. Any ideas on how to get reproductions of these pedal blocks? I have a fear these will have to be custom made unless someone has NOS blocks or other ideas. I have thought of altering Torrington 10 blocks to fit but would rather have exact match. I am being very careful with the one that is still intact in case molds have to be made but crossing my fingers on other options.

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

1930Columbia11_3.jpg

Finally color & pattern on paint will be original as well. I will be going with Berkshire Blue with white head & darts on this bike. Pinstripes will be black where the 2 colors meet. It also came in the Columbia Carmine color of my 1930 Hartford. Here's the catalog showing the pattern. I have a 1931 color catalog showing the paint color so should be able to get a close match on color. I'll try to scan it & post it later.

1930Columbia4.jpg

This bike will also get Ghisallo 700c wood rims if I like them on the Hartford and Electra Amsterdam cream tires. As soon as I finish the Hartford I will start working on this frame getting it prepped probably late this year. This will be my 2013 project as I need to finish the Hartford first. The head tube has some serious dents that will have to be addressed. Good to have projects.....

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Gary,
Another sweet TRULY vintage bike, I'm definitely subscribing to this thread. Let me know if decide to sandblast/powdercoat, I found a 'local' source at a great price.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. T,

It's been a long time since we talked. Hope you are well. I may take you up on that. It will probably get painted but not sure yet. It may need to be blasted either way & I may need your thoughts on how to straighten a head tube. It received a serious blow at some time but is still functional. Hope to talk soon. Gary

Interesting pedals. This is the first time I've seen these. CCM in Canada have used the same pedals with Gibson blocks. I have a lot of them. Gibson blocks are reproduced in red, black and white. You can also get grips to match the blocks. I will be ordering some later this year. The pedals showed up on CCM bikes in around 1915. I have a pair with App For on the sides. I also have lots with PAT July10 1923 on the end. You should contact the guy selling the pedals in the link. He may be able to get some made, won't be cheap.
IMG-20120801-02055.jpg

IMG-20120801-02056.jpg

http://www.vintageccm.com/content/gibson-pedal-rubbers
http://www.vintageccm.com/content/corru ... bber-grips

oldy57 said:
Interesting pedals. This is the first time I've seen these. CCM in Canada have used the same pedals with Gibson blocks. I have a lot of them. Gibson blocks are reproduced in red, black and white. You can also get grips to match the blocks. I will be ordering some later this year. The pedals showed up on CCM bikes in around 1915. I have a pair with App For on the sides. I also have lots with PAT July10 1923 on the end. You should contact the guy selling the pedals in the link. He may be able to get some made, won't be cheap.
IMG-20120801-02055.jpg

IMG-20120801-02056.jpg

http://www.vintageccm.com/content/gibson-pedal-rubbers
http://www.vintageccm.com/content/corru ... bber-grips

Oldy57, Thank You. I may be ordering a set until I can either find some with Columbia script or have them made. This is great and it is nice to find out more on the history of these pedal frames and learn they were used in Canada on CCM bikes. Thanks again, it is greatly appreciated.

Very nice, I love that frame design, I have a frame that i've been contemplating customizing to look like this. Awesome find, Congrats!!

My Columbia Arch Bar frame is a 1930 but I thought I would share a couple of pics from the 1931 Columbia catalog which are in color. The only real changes for 1931 were new saddle, new type pedals, and the Arch Bar got a true Moto-Bike handlebar with the cross brace. The first pic is the page showing the 1931 Arch Bar in Columbia Carmine color, this is same as color on my 1930 Hartford Camelback. The second pic is the 1931 Columbia Junior Roadster in Berkshire Blue color. I share it to show the Berkshire Blue color my Arch Bar will be painted. This pic also has a good view of the placement of the Columbia Wings ornament.

Scan23.jpg

Scan21.jpg

This bike will most likely only get one true accessory in order to preserve the clean lines of the arch bar style and it will be an EA Labs Klaxon horn. I paid too much but it was very clean & had never been on a bike so I jumped on it. It's the one on the left with the chrome front, the one on the right is NOS and will be going on the 1930 Hartford so both 1930 bikes will get almost matching very clean horns, neither of which have ever been on a bicycle. I don't know how much truth there is in this but the seller relayed this story on this horn only after I purchased it and I have no reason to doubt the story plus it did come out of the LA area. The story was not in the description but was only told to me afterwards, he said the horn was purchased & used as a "folly device" for sound effects in old movies & plays and this had never been on a bicycle as that was not what it was originally purchased for. The mounting area is so clean & free of scratches it is obvious it has never been on a bike. Thought that was a very COOL STORY!!!!!!!! :cool: Anyway it's a good story to add to a bike that was part of Blue's "Secret Stash" that I have no history on until Blue purchased it out of Oklahoma. If you read my 1930 Hartford thread to date you know by now I like bikes with a story to tell or some history to uncover, I may never know the true history of them, but there's definitely a story in there somewhere..... Thanks.

IMG_0569.jpg

I'm not sure that this post adds any value to this thread but I have the same pedals on my Indian. The are also stamped Patent date of Dec. 16, 1924. They are hard and look like they were melted or something but are holding on nice. Keep us posted if you find someone who reproduces the blocks.
Good looking bike! I will be following this one also.
IMG_7326.jpg

highship said:
I'm not sure that this post adds any value to this thread but I have the same pedals on my Indian. The are also stamped Patent date of Dec. 16, 1924. They are hard and look like they were melted or something but are holding on nice. Keep us posted if you find someone who reproduces the blocks.
Good looking bike! I will be following this one also.
IMG_7326.jpg

Highship, Yes, yours adds value & I got to look at your fabulous Indian (I found your thread). What a great bike. That bike is worth a LOT of money as it sits & is what I consider my Holy Grail bike. If I could only have one bike your Indian is it and it is at the top of my want list of 7 different bikes!!!!!!!!! Yours is the only one I have seen with the white darts & head tube, & white stripe on fenders, all others I have seen are solid Indian Red. I wonder if these were made by Westfield by then when the badge changed from Hendee to Indian Motorcycle Company. I know they were originally made by Hendee but yours is essentially the same bike I believe as the late 20's Columbia Motor Bike made by Westfield with different chainring, badging, logos, etc. I have heard the round Columbia tank fits on these as well. What a sweet, sweet bike. I would gently clean it, find the other correct parts, build some 700c wood wheels on correct hubs, and ride & show it forever..... There are some pretty good threads on the CABE website that go into the history of the Indian bikes if you haven't seen them.

On the pedals, I have now seen these pedals in the following versions: Indian (red only), Westfield & Rambler (black only), Columbia (both red & black), the Gibson Canadian blocks in black red or white used on CCM bikes. Seeing yours helps me document what all bikes these were used on. They are very rare hard to find pedals & definitely correct to your Indian. If I ever see Indian repop blocks I'll let you know and thanks for sharing those on your Indian.

Your Indian is a great find & hope to see you put that one back original and document it. Congratulations!!!!!! :shock:

Thanks for the kind words about my Indian. I have tried to research the history of the bike but I really can't come up with alot of good info. I did read somewhere that Columbia was building these at one point when Indian got to busy with there motorcycles. This is also the only one I have ever seen that wasn't a solid color. It has been cleaned up but I'm still on the hunt for the bars. Thanks again for the kind words and I look forward to following your post.

One more fairly hard to find part found, a very very good condition pre-1933 Columbia script front hub correct for 1930 Columbia's.

Notice the Columbia script in the center of the hub:

IMG_0581.jpg

From the 1930 Columbia catalog:

1930Columbia11_1-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back