1930's bicycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acquired this bike yesterday from an old couple. I went to the local museum in town and ending up meeting a lady who runs the place and the subject of old bikes came up. She tells me that her husband still has his old bike that he bought used back in 1942. She also tells me that he keeps everything so I doubt he would want to sell it. I said that was fine but I would like to come by the house and see exactly what type of bike it is. She said that was fine and later that day I went to go see the bike. It is in rough shape as you can tell by the pics. The man then asks me if I want the bike. I said I might be interested. He then tells me I can have it for free. I said I will definitly take it. I threw it in the truck and took it home. Unfortunately, I have no clue what brand of bike it is and neither did the man. I was hoping somebody could help identify the bike. There is no headbadge and it is skiptooth. Thanks for looking.

DSCN0430.jpg

DSCN0431.jpg

wow what a find. that has to be the cream of patina. i have no idea what it is but i like it. way to go.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

sweet find I dont know the make either but go post it on the CABE forum they will be able to tell you
and becareful with the Torrington Alloy Handlebar stem they break easy and are worth some good money :)

I need to post some pics up on the CABE. I really like the handle bars on this bike. I am going to try and get it back to original condition or close to it. It had a tank at one time but the man said he lost it. He also said he has the rack somewhere in his shop and will try and find it for me. I need to try and find a serial number on it too.

I have a westernflyer frame and another frame that is called something else that are just like it. Don't know the actual maker of the bike as westernflyer always had someone else to make them.

There's a monarch silver king with a very similar neck in the builds forum. I know its just a neck but maybe it's a monarch?

The man I got it from said it might have been a montgomery ward bike, which I understand as being made by someone else for montgomery ward. Maybe I can find some old catalogs online. thanks for all the help so far.

its definitely a cleveland welding frame(badged for what company i have no clue) check the photo archives at oldroads.com or nostalgic.net id would also post the pics at the cabe(those guys REALLY know there bikes!)
btw GREAT score!

I think it's a Hawthorne Zep, but could have been a Western Flyer or one of the other CW brands. Looks like a Zep frame though.

I looked at some pics on google and it looks exactly like a 1937 Wards Hawthorne. I am missing a tank and front fender light. Hopefully, the guy finds the rear rack so that will be one less part I have to buy. Now the search goes on for parts. Thanks everyone for thier help.

Hawthorne1937.gif

Skoda it is a wards hawthorne zep because one of the frames I got from Crassly is a 1936 wards hawthorne zep g/l Tony 8)

I posted pics on The Cabe and they think it is a 1937-1938 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne. There is a lock mechanism on the fork. I will try and snap some pics lock the lock later.

Back