1930's Colson

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was snorkeling in the Ohio river with our local chapter of The Polar Bear club, when I saw a 5 ft long catfish. I went in pursuit with my spear gun. I chased him for a half hour and I finally got a shot at him. It glanced off his whiskers into the dark depths of the mighty Ohio. When i went to collect the harpoon I found it lodged in the wheels of this Colson. I think it is mid to late 30's. I am going to clean up the wheels and hubs and re-lace them. No headbadge, anybody have any more info?

4298221593_491c81f5ed_b.jpg

4298222763_9a979092ab_b.jpg

4298223707_b7a8248d09_b.jpg

4298224859_9de3090f40_b.jpg

It does look Colson-ey. I have a similar Rover badged frame which I believe was only made by Colson. I've seen some other Colsons and old catalog pages, and those have rear stays that bolt on with the seat post bolt. I'm not sure if they made both at the same time or if one style is older than the other. -Adam

Isn't that how the ring from "lord of the rings" was found? Watch out, this thing may be the bike to rule all bikes.

This reminds me of the time when we discovered an old mill that had waterfalls in it. Back when I wasn't so bike liking I went swimming in a part of it that had a floor but it was a huge mass of water and there was a bunch of really old bikes down under the water on the floor. along with other random stuff. I've actualy caught a bike before too. When we go fishing for catfish we use a thick line with many hooks and a big weight on the end, well it got snagged on a bicycle. The water is a big mystery!

looks like a 30's Colson Flyer.

I just bought one, but don't have it yet to compare.

what's the serial number? that might narrow it down.

I once caught a Schwinn Varsity when I was trying to snag carp in lake Erie, but that Colson is way better than a Varsity. This thread makes me want to learn to scuba dive...We have several old flooded quarrys around here, God knows how many old bikes are down there.

Spear-fishing in the Ohio River? I call BS on this story. You couldn't see 1 ft. in front of your face in the Ohio River. Show me a pic of you and your club in full scuba gear with spear guns standing on the shore of the mighty Ohio and I *might* believe you. Gary

Ok, I'll come clean. The story might not be entirely true...
I just figured it would sound better than " I bought it from a guy out of a barn"

Back