1936/37 CWC Super Kool

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the most part this bike will stay the same...Love that rusted look!

Any-one out there maybe know how hard it would be to find a tank for this thing ???

Thanks for looking >>>>>:eek: 1936/37 All American A.K.A. CWC ( B04670 )

newbike004.jpg

newbike002.jpg

newbike001.jpg

Looks like that bike may actually clean up. Nice find!

Super net bike!,..can't believe how nice that headbadge is. They made quality stuff in those days, good luck with it; post pics when you get it "done".

Awesome score. I am not too sure if that bike came with a tank, it looks likes it might need one of those rare 4-gill ones. Get some 000 fine steel wool, some Permatex rust dissolving gel and rub in light circles, that paint will come back pretty nice, not perfect, but nice. Use some Meguiars No. 1 on the lighter parts a few times. Light is right!

Before steel wool and Permatex
ratbike4065.jpg

After
ratbike4071.jpg

Cheers,

Jordan

When I responded on this bike on the CABE, I missed that you had posted the serial number…

CWC serial numbers ran to A99999 and then restarted with B00001. The inclusion of bicycles with both “X” and “Z” serial numbers produced in late 1936 and early 1937 confuse matters, but I hold the break from 1936 to 1937 at falling near the switch from “A” to “B” serial numbers. That would put your bike into early 1937.

The frame type of this bike is what I refer to as the “Bent Tank” for the distinctive shape of the tank aperture. Obviously I also refer to the tank that fits this frame as the Bent-Tank!

The BT frame was produced from mid 1936 until the outset of WW2 with a number of small construction variations that define the age of the frame along with the serial number.

The matching tank was also modified several times over the course of its production.

Here is a link to the original patent drawings for the tank:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=Hm5kAA ... le&f=false

There are two possible variations of the tank that could be correct for this bike. Both will have a removable panel on the drive side that has a battery cage welded to the inside of the panel. The panel screws independently to the tank and sits in a grooved trough that surrounds it. A similar grove is stamped into the offside of the tank to visually balance it.

The earliest versions of this tank have no louvers and no horn button as the earliest bikes were fitted with an external pancake horn. The second version has a horn button located mid-side on the offside of the tank to operate an internal horn. This version also has louvers to allow the horn’s sound to escape. This same basic tank was used in 1938 but the horn button was moved to the top front corner of the tank. Later versions of the tank no longer have the removable door, but retain the stamped groove and the last versions have plain, unstamped sides.

These tanks are not easy to find but they exist in numbers large enough that they do turn up for sale. You could also correctly build the bike without a tank because a larger percentage of these bikes left the factory unequipped compared to those equipped with a tank.

Latest posts

Back