1936 Wards Hawthorne Motobike It's a 20 footer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back from buying the bike. I guess i should have rode it before i bought it(NEWBIE MISTAKE) Sometimes the crank turns ten times and sometimes it takes twenty times before the hub will catch and move. Once you get it moving you may go ten feet you may go 50 before it lets go and starts spinning again. But it only takes a half a turn backwards to engage the brake. Looks like I will be rebuilding a morrow hub this weekend. I still think i got a really really good deal. I do need to lose some weight the seat doesn't like my 208 lb body :-( The bottom of the seat rests on the seat post when i ride lol It seems like it was a comfortable seat back in the day for somebody 75 lbs lighter. I will post more pics of the bike tomorrow.
1936WardsHawthorne.jpg

HPIM0669.jpg

HPIM0670.jpg

Rewelded at one time Maybe?
HPIM0682.jpg

HPIM0681.jpg

HPIM0684.jpg

Looks like a spray can paint job....
HPIM0680.jpg

HPIM0679.jpg

HPIM0677.jpg

HPIM0675.jpg

Rear Wheel
HPIM0673.jpg

Front Wheel
HPIM0671.jpg

Somebody beat Up The Chainguard Really really bad
HPIM0674.jpg

HPIM0676.jpg

Re: 1936 Wards Hawthorne found a NICE one

Nice 8) In great shape to :p

Re: 1936 Wards Hawthorne found a NICE one

Your drive cone or corresponding hub surface may be shot, but (hopefully) you may just have some debris, old hardened grease, or a burr inside the bendix, or between the cone and the hub.

Re: 1936 Wards Hawthorne Motobike found a NICE one

Or as just mentioned in a different thread: Is there a one-way rotation clip or return spring missing from the "clutch"? The clip type snaps onto one half of a 2-part assembly, and engages a slot on the other, the other type is shown here...
http://www.troubleshooters.com/bicycles ... erhaul.htm

Re: 1936 Wards Hawthorne Motobike found a NICE one

Thanks deorman that is some really great info. I can't wait till this weekend so i can tear into the hub and find out whats wrong. I have my fingers crossed it's something simple :D

Sprayed WD-40 in the oil hole today and the hub started working great :D Rode it around the neighborhood and these bikes are fast. Kinda hard to pedal up hills but it gave me one heck of a workout. I was hoping my schwinn packard would be the first skiptooth bike i rode, but this hawthorne has me even more hooked on prewar bicycles.

I do need to lose some weight the seat doesn't like my 208 lb body The bottom of the seat rests on the seat post when i ride lol It seems like it was a comfortable seat back in the day for somebody 75 lbs lighter.
There's supposed to be a second set of springs there that sit over the bottom springs! :lol: I don't think that's the right guard, some of those early ballooners didn't come with one. -Adam

cman said:
Drip some oil in the hub if you don't plan on tearing it apart.
Put several drops of 30 weight oil in the hub tonight. Rode it around seems to be working even better and you only have to turn the crank a 1/4 to a 1/2 a turn till it engages now.
There's supposed to be a second set of springs there that sit over the bottom springs! :lol: I don't think that's the right guard, some of those early ballooners didn't come with one. -Adam

Been looking online at different seats to see if there is a type of guard? or a extra set of springs
i can install to make the springs stiffer on the seat until I lose some weight :)

I am going to let it sit in the garage for now.Going to spend my spare time workign on my buildoff bike. I will be definatley tearing into it before i ride it again. i want to make sure it is ok inside, fully greased and ready to ride. I don't want to mess up that hub I have been reading morrows where hard to find. How hard is it to get parts for these hubs?

Back