1937 LaSalle bomber

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some more progress. Color sanded it. I started with 1500 grit to knock down the tape ridges, finished with 2000 grit. I then applied the LaSalle down tube transfer. Finished it with 2k clear coat. Now it needs to cure a few days and I'll hit it with polishing compound and start building it up. There are some flaws in the paint but considering where it started, I can't complain.

View attachment 157299

View attachment 157300
Looks amazing. Quite the transformation👏

Looks amazing. Quite the transformation👏
Thanks! My favorite part of this hobby is finding bikes that are way beyond needing some attention and making them riders again. I cut the cable long before it was cool, so the time that I don't spend glued to a tube is better used in other frivolous pursuits :21:

And it is done. It's been light rain on and off today so I decided to try to wrap this build up. Early this morning I compounded the clear coat. The fork steerer had to be cut shorter. I decided to use a Greenfield alloy sidestand. To anchor the drum brake I used an Odyssey posi stop seat clamp. I took a short ride and I like it, the brakes are very linear, riding position is spot on for my 6' 1" self, saddle is comfortable. There are a couple of spots in the paint that I need to touch up and it needs an after build cleaning. I'll post a full photo thread in the Klunkers and Mountain bikes forum when the weather lets me get it out and about for some photos.

Before:

20210119_203006.jpg

After:

20210515_181646.jpg

Almost unrecognizable, great job. How does that drum brake feel?
Thanks! The drum is smooth and very controllable. There is no fear of a lock up but it will get it stopped quick if you squeeze it. I used a vintage Polygon 4 finger lever assembly that seems to be a good match for it.

Latest posts

Back