1940 find.....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this one up today. Comes with a bitter-sweet story. The lady must of been in her early eighties. She said she was 4 years old during the depression.

The bike was purchased new for her sister in 1940 from Montgomery Wards. I asked why she thought it was a 1940. She said, "I don't think it's a 1940, I KNOW it's a 1940. That's when my father bought it for my sister". :)

Her sister passed away eight years ago. I asked her why she was selling it. She said she needed money for medical expenses. Needless to say, I gave her price for it.

Aired up the tires, and lubed the chain. Would of liked to take her around the block, but she's got a busted crank arm.
Not a clue what to do with this one. Looks like something that would be hanging from the ceiling of a Cracker Barrel Resturant.

As always,
thanks for lookin,
Jules

008-4.jpg

017-3.jpg

016-4.jpg

013-5.jpg

014-5.jpg

Wow, that's cool! I'd put the wartime blackout stuff on a men's cruiser. Really neat... are the bars blacked out too? That's really cool. What size are the wheels?

Unchained said:
Wow, that's cool! I'd put the wartime blackout stuff on a men's cruiser. Really neat... are the bars blacked out too? That's really cool. What size are the wheels?

Yes, the bars are blacked out. Front hub is a New Departure. Wheels are 26". I believe the front tire to be original (26 x 1.375). It's a "Wards Riverside Lite-Wate". The purist in me will probably win out and keep her together. Doesn't mean I can't "borrow" parts off her from time to time though..... :)

Tempe-Terror said:
no bike deserves the fate of hanging in a Cracker Barrel. Get a new crank and ride it.

Agreed. The only reason I say that is, there's a really cool bike hanging in a local CB here in KC. I cuss it once a month when I meet friends for breakfast.....

Back