1940 Hawthorne and a circa 1960 Schwinn Tornado

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drove all the way down from Ontario Canada to John.C's place for these. A 193? Hawthorne, and a circa 1960 Schwinn Tornado double straight bar. After a few beers once we got home, I had the Hawthorne rolling up and down the street!

ratbike2010.jpg

ratbike2012.jpg

ratbike2011.jpg

ratbike2013.jpg

Re: 193? Hawthorne and a circa 1960 Schwinn Tornado

Wow great looking rides !, love the original patina on them.

The Hawthorne is a CWC produced bike the frame dates the bike between late 1937 and early 1942, the chainring, if original to the bike, limits it to 1940 and newer. The serial number can be used to date it more closely.

Tailwinds said:
Can you verify that Schwinn serial? I think that frame is a 61'-62'.
Tornado came out in '58, also there was a revised Flying Star w/that frame around the same time. 61 weas the last year for the original Tornado, the Typhoon replaced it for 62, but most used a different frame wtih continuous tubes to the rear dropouts instead of ending at the seat tube as on this one. -Adam

Rustinkerer said:
Tailwinds said:
Can you verify that Schwinn serial? I think that frame is a 61'-62'.
Tornado came out in '58, also there was a revised Flying Star w/that frame around the same time. 61 weas the last year for the original Tornado, the Typhoon replaced it for 62, but most used a different frame wtih continuous tubes to the rear dropouts instead of ending at the seat tube as on this one. -Adam

That's why I ask, it's the same frame style as this example I have which is a very late 1961. I'm still trying to figure out the peculiarities of this particular frame.
IMGP1714.jpg

I know the Schwinn was first licensed in '61 in Vermont, last licensed in '67. The Hawthorne has a Ithaca NY '44 plate on it, but I think it is older than that. I need to find a drop stand for the Hawthorne as well, and use the other one on my '37-39 CWC round rear end frame rat. I am definitely still pretty new to the world of Schwinns, as I am a big CWC fan. I couldn't pass the Tornado up, the headlight is spotless on the inside as well. Is there a really good polish I can use on the Schwinn? The Hawthorne will stay as is, it's too awesome to clean. Yesterday it had 2 Duro flame tread tires installed, skull grips and a Klaxon Oogah horn. As rotten as the seat looks, it is really comfy.

After I found the Tornado a new home, I have finally started to put the Hawthorne back together. Cleaned the rust a bit to reveal the beautiful vintage red house paint, :lol: I also gave the paint on the original rims a little love as well. All was going well until I noticed the fork was twisted to the right a bit, so on the test ride it was pulling to the left a lot. Swapped the fork out for a crusty Shockmaster, added a light, seat, tires, grease and it lives again.

bikestuff443.jpg

bikestuff444.jpg

bikestuff445.jpg

bikestuff447.jpg

bikestuff449.jpg

bikestuff448.jpg

bikestuff452.jpg
]]

bikestuff451.jpg

Latest posts

Back