Old Schwinn Typhoon Project - City Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gWebber

Old School Schwinn’s Rule
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t been on RatBikes site in a long time, nice to be back with a build.

Bought a Schwinn Typhoon off eBay a good while back , everything but wheels , reasonable cheap.
Sat around a long time due to my health issues, but now I’m recovering (again) so going to get this together for exercise.

First thing was trying to figure out what year it was built, odd serial number (single letter instead of double) took forever to find a correct date … Jan 1962 seems to be the one.

Anyway, overall bike is bone stock Typhoon , but I’m adding some mid rise breeze bars as I not a fan of the stock flat bars much. Needs some dent fixing on fenders and the typical under front fork fender bolt is of Course snapped off ((drill& tap).

To ease ride ability for this old guy , I spread the rear frame and added a modern 3 Speed hub & wheel. Pretty easy on a steel frame.

Plan to add small metal front basket for lugging small items as needed and looking for a Schwinn or similar old style tail rack just to keep the over all look.

Also needs a weld on one of the rails, some dummy tried to steal it by attempting to bolt cut the frame rail … nice jaws dent and a cracked weld … personally I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_7706.jpeg
    IMG_7706.jpeg
    477.9 KB
  • IMG_7707.jpeg
    IMG_7707.jpeg
    497.1 KB
  • IMG_7710.jpeg
    IMG_7710.jpeg
    456.4 KB
  • IMG_7711.jpeg
    IMG_7711.jpeg