1940's Colson

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I found this bike this weekend at an antique shop in the basement. I'm not really sure of the model, I don't know much about Colson's but I really like the looptale frame and the grill tank. The paint looks awful but there really isn't any serious rust, just surface rust.
I'm not sure if I should restore it back to original or if I should just build it the way I want.
What do you guys think, is it worth all the effort of repainting and rechromeing. If I decide to restore it I'll need to find new fenders and a chaingaurd because there pretty dented up.
colson.jpg

colson-2.jpg

colson-4.jpg

colson-3.jpg

That's a really neat bike. If it was mine I'd probably clean it up, re-lube everything and ride it. Good find! 8)

Really if you find a bike that was something a little more than the normal run of the mill bike , with that many parts,You should clean it up and for sure not rat rod it. Dents can be taken out. You can find a front fender ,and have a really nice bike. You dont see alot of Colsons around with the tank still with them. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Uncle Stretch said:
Really if you find a bike that was something a little more than the normal run of the mill bike , with that many parts,You should clean it up and for sure not rat rod it. Dents can be taken out. You can find a front fender ,and have a really nice bike. You dont see alot of Colsons around with the tank still with them. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
That was my original thought too, I'd never seen one of these bikes in person and I couldn't pass it up. I have the front fender but it's pretty hammered too, I don't think I have the skills to take out that many dents but I'll see what I can do.

I need to start digging harder for a bike like that. Good condition. Looks amazing. Do a restore. Im a fan of flipping bikes for profit but that one would be hard to let go...

if youre planning on ever selling it and want to get what its worth dont restore it.
anything thats been reworked is always less than original(and youll end up taking a loss after everythings said and done)......
good rule of thumb is never do anything that cant be undone with a wrench or screwdriver :wink:
but ultimately its your bike so do what you will......
nice score :mrgreen:

I would just clean it up and ride it. you can always restore it later. Please don't put blue tires on it. I'd probably do black walls, but white walls would work too.

Nice score! I would leave it as is and lube everything up. New wheels and tire will be necessary, old spokes on wheels will break easy unless otherwise. The dirty add character to it, leave it as is. The grill on the tank is so awesome! You can try use the plastic or rubber hammer to flat the dents.

You have a lucky find.

The cast grills and the tank are not common (the grills took on water and rusted out many of the tanks) and they were used on some of the deluxe single and dual cushioned Colsons of the period. The tank and grills by themselves will bring somewhere between 60% to 80% of what the entire bike would bring at auction.

It's good advise not to repaint anything, if you do decide to sell or trade at some point, leaving it as is will maximize your profit.

If you decide to collect the pieces you need to finish the bike only the deluxe Colson rack is expensive or hard to find.

And, if you decide to restore the bike, here is picture of Ted Lusher's restored grill tank Colson with a Cushioner fork from our 2008 Concours for inspiration.

3905386533_b9edf8c93a_b.jpg

Nice. I always dream of finding an old tank bike, and while cleaning it up finding a wad of cash in the tank!

3905386533_b9edf8c93a_b.jpg
[/quote]

does anyone know if the purpose of the vertical grills in the tank is for holding paper? like mail, ext? just curious. saw that paper card in there, and got my brain goin'
the Colson sure is one nice ride! never seen one in person though...

Typically slots and louvers in tanks were placed there to allow the horn sound to escape. Colson got caried away in 1939 casting grills to fit in their tanks (the 1939 tank is different and even rarer). the grills were used for several years on the top line Colson bikes.

The card hanging in the grill is a hangtag we put on the bikes at the Concours to identify the bikes for judging.

Back