1945 Schwinn "The World"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this from a northern Mich junk yard last year. It was sitting outside at my house and I started feeling sorry for it! I spent part of yesterday and today cleaning and greasing the BB and the hubs. The wheels did not come on it, but work well. They have New Departure hubs with the proper rear sprocket and the right amount of patina on the spokes and rims. I have a nos set of bars and grips on the way. A set of drk red w/cream fenders would be a nice addition, but that will have to wait. The serial number confused me at first. The number is B29330. This means it was built in 1945. I didn't think Schwinn made bikes like this in 45. Turns out they made 99,000 in 1945 according to Standad catalog of Shcwinn bicycles by Doug Mitchel.

Picture098-1.jpg

Before.
Picture038-1.jpg

Picture039-1.jpg

Picture040-1.jpg

Hubs had a thick coat of dirt mixed with grease. Makes a great rust inhibitor!
Picture042-1.jpg

I know this didn't create much of stir when first posted but, I really like this bike. I think I get a better feeling bringing a bike back from the scrap heap than I do making a shiny new custom. The bars are Wald and match the originals exactly. The grips are repro. It also got a new chain and I refurbished the original pedals. It actually rides really nice if you don't mind a little rust on your shorts.
Picture093-2.jpg

Picture102-2.jpg

Picture092-2.jpg

3.jpg

Picture090-2.jpg

Suits my taste perfectly....very nice :mrgreen:

I missed it too. I really dig the seat pan to butt contact. I have a few like that and they really aren't all that uncomfortable. Though a longer ride will cause perspiration which will cause the rust to permeate your shorts! :oops:

Joe

Back