1950 Ladies Monark

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Technically, it's not a fresh find yet, but I'm looking at it this afternoon.
According to the seller, it's a 24" 1950 model 1310.
IMG_1452-1.jpg

Question, is it safe to assume that it's a balloon frame? It looks pretty wide in the photo.Was Monark making middleweights in 1950? Brought my tape measure with me, how much space should I be looking for between the stays?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers,
Dr. T

I would confidently say that would be balloon sized. Cool looking bike. Got a little lady in mind to build it for?

Jpromo said:
I would confidently say that would be balloon sized. Cool looking bike. Got a little lady in mind to build it for?
I would agree, also if it is a 50 model then it definately is a ballooner. They didn't start producing middleweight stuff untill the late 50s.

Yep, this will be Mrs. Tankenstein's ride. I was able to convince her to let me build up a TRUE vintage bike vs. buying a new one.

High-level plans.....aqua blue and cream color scheme, full fenders, rear rack, lights, rat trap springer so she can have a basket, Nexus 7-speed coaster rear hub, whitewalls, maybe some fender skirts, nice cushy seat, a tank would be nice too.

This will not be a restoration by any means, it will be 'ratty' in that, it will undoubtedly have parts from Monark, Schwinn, Felt, Electra, etc... just all put together and made all girlie and stuff. :roll:

Hopefully a nice 'modernized' classic cruiser.

Stay tuned....

Cheers,
Dr. T

Picked it up a couple of hours ago!
The seller was awesome! He (Skip) threw in the forks, fenders, dogleg crank, sprocket, headbadge, New Departure Model D rear hub, both sets of cups and bearings, headset and even a basket! Basically, everything but a wheelset and chain (oops, he even offered me those too, but they were totally roached)

Everything is well 'patina'd', but you know me..... :roll: :mrgreen:

I'll start a build thread in the next couple of days.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Keep us posted Dr. T... And I have a few more items coming your way. Please send me your address. Thanks, Skip

Latest posts

Back