1951 Schwinn Spitfire

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this for sale today for 50 dollars and wondering if anyone can tell me what year it is. Nice sweetheart sprocket on it also :). The guy who is selling it thinks it is in the 40's, my guess is in the 30's maybe.
VintageBike.jpg

VintageBike1.jpg

Re: skip tooth balloon tire schwinn frame?

Definately not from the 30s, more likely a late 40s early 50s.
If it has chain adjustors and rear facing dropouts it might be a little earlier than that.
If you can get the serial number that will help, either under the crank or on the rear dropout.

Just got off the phone with him, he told me to call me back about one or two tomorrow. A guy is supposed to come and look at it in the morning. If he doesn't sell it I will post the serial number tomorrow night.

The frame alone is worth that! Front facing dropouts arrived in 1946 for Schwinns, they made that straight bar frame into the early-mid 50s. -Adam

Just got it home and have been checking it out. It is a Schwinn Spitfire. Serial Number H2189XX Front rim is RUSTY, frame has surface rust but no really rough spots it should clean up nicely. Front fender seems to have only one dent in it but the rear fender is really tweaked and bent. Now to look for a chain would love to ride it the way it is for a month or two before i fix her up.

I was checking the serial number last night and I came up with 5/25/1951 as when the bike was made. Can't wait to start working on it but got alot of bikes to sell and get rid of so i will have the room in my garage to work.

Back