1951 Schwinn?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HWC

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another "barn find" Really, it WAS in a barn and the owner had quit riding it after owning for 35 years! Not certain about the year of manufacture
It's fairly original excepting the seat, pedals tires and grips. Grips are Sears. A little rough overall, so I think I'll build a rat bike from this one!

PersonalPics2009051.jpg

PersonalPics2009052.jpg

PersonalPics2009054-1.jpg

love the bike! it could be a 51', but if you post the ser#, there are alot of us here who can figure out its exact year or go to old roads vintage bicycles and look under schwinn ser#s. im gonna guess it to be a wasp or spitfire. as for making it a rat, your almost there. :D

man look at those rims!!How many years do you think someone rode that in the 4th of July parades!!Maybe with the streamers in the spokes,sparklers burnin in the back!!Would love to be able to look at its history.california bike so you know its seen some beautiful rides.

All I've done so far is remove the Wald basket and adjust the bearings front and rear, as they were very sloppy. It rides fine "as-is" and I hesitate to fix it up much because it will lose some of it's character. For now, it's back in the shop just resting until I figure out what to do with it. I was thinking about a better seat, better tires and lots of riding! :D

roadmaster said:
love the bike! it could be a 51', but if you post the ser#, there are alot of us here who can figure out its exact year or go to old roads vintage bicycles and look under schwinn ser#s. im gonna guess it to be a wasp or spitfire. as for making it a rat, your almost there. :D

THANKS! I'll get the serial number and post it. When I looked it up, 1951 was what I came up with, but I am wondering if it could be earlier.
I have another similar bike from 1952. It doesn't have the "skip-tooth" chain like this one and is in much better condition with original green and white paint.

It IS pretty ratty isn't it! :D

Lookin' Cool with the old frame.... Well, we got it torn down this far and the head tube needed some "liquid encouragement" to come apart, so we dowsed it with liqid wrench and will sit for awhile, then take apart for cleaning and go from there...

PersonalPics2009110.jpg

PersonalPics2009109.jpg

i gotta concur with markm re: the date. have fun with the rebuild. looks to be an old "butterfly" tread on that rear tire, too. thats the one bmx tread pattern that i wish i was able to find in a 26" size. old school bmxers know what im talking about.

roadmaster said:
i gotta concur with markm re: the date. have fun with the rebuild. looks to be an old "butterfly" tread on that rear tire, too. thats the one bmx tread pattern that i wish i was able to find in a 26" size. old school bmxers know what im talking about.

lookup Porkchopzz4 at the bmx museum, he's getting 24" tires and 26" in several different patterns made and selling them at his website, I believe the 26" are not out yet but they will be soon in 3-4 different colors.

Back