1953 20" Skip tooth Meteor Maybe + Funky bar Frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I**edited** The Little kids skip tooth with the lucky 7 crank is something that i have never seen. I love the scaled down deluxe guard tho~ the 26" has those twin bars that go from the drop outs to the head tube. Tornado maybe?
---
Please give me any kinda feed back you have on'em but especially the Lil guy.

Re: Funky continuous bar schwinn and Skip tooth lil'Phantom

What are the serial numbers? That will narrow down what year then I can check the catalogs to pin point a model. The bigger one I am thinking is an American, I have a girl's '56 American with the same chain guard.

outskirtscustoms said:
What are the serial numbers? That will narrow down what year then I can check the catalogs to pin point a model. The bigger one I am thinking is an American, I have a girl's '56 American with the same chain guard.

I had the same chain guard on my american too but the top bars were different. Looks like the S# makes it a birthday of around 3/16/53.

That blue chain guard is pretty cool looking..

jaydub said:
That blue chain guard is pretty cool looking..

That blue chain guard is the only reason I made the trip out there! The little skiptooth was a bonus. Thanks!

On the red Schwinn, in 53, that Schwinn chainguard wouldn't have been on that cantilever style frame. It could be a 53 frame with some changed out parts over the years. The fenders aren't Schwinn, so someone has probably redone the bike at least once. The forks don't look 53 either. Is the serial number 5 or 6 digits?

Wildcat said:
On the red Schwinn, in 53, that Schwinn chainguard wouldn't have been on that cantilever style frame. It could be a 53 frame with some changed out parts over the years. The fenders aren't Schwinn, so someone has probably redone the bike at least once. The forks don't look 53 either. Is the serial number 5 or 6 digits?

Sorry the Small frame is the 53 - I haven't looked up the red one yet. I am guessing its going to be 57ish maybe? The wheels fenders and tires and stem and grips are all very much not schwinn.

Looks like a '53 Hornet maybe.
1953_06.jpg

Or Wasp
1954_04.jpg

You beat me to it. I was just about to post that same page.

Now as I have never seen one in the wild I don't know but the fenders on mine dont have truss rod indentations...but all of us at RRB probably weren't the first folks to swap a few parts around. Thank you both for all the help digging up the reference image. I grabbed it to save! Cheers.

That 20 inch cantilever should be worth a good couple hundred on ebay maybe more. Those are hard bikes to find in any shape. Good Grabs, matt

Thanks Matt. I want to break the fork loose. As of now it's not at all...loose! HA! Then I may try and sell it!

The 20" deluxe chainguard is a hard to find item. You should do okay with the 20". Gary

So after a bit of looking up in Geoff Greene's required reading on Heavyweights. I think I found it. Break out the PB Blaster, it's time to get down to it! BTW AS BOLT, Out of all the stuff the guy had in two barns this was what I figured was the one to pick up based solely on the little deluxe guard! I paid about 20 bucks more than I had intended at $50 but I was also picking up two free bikes on the way home so I included those in the price (of my deluded bike addicted mind) to make it worth it. Cheers ~ Dan

<p>

So the little bike is starting to give up it's original paint! Now I wish it would give up the front fork, it's frozen! Somebody from CA found the original ad on CL and contacted the guy that sold it to me and got my number. He asked me if I wanted to part with it telling me it was just an old 20" bike...Thanks but I'll hold on to it. Wouldn't surprise me if he was on the site somewhere! I am using acetone and a rag but it's slow going. Advice on getting the paint off in am more uniformly and timely manner?

Latest posts

Back