1954 corvette 2 speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
picked up this up from the original owner today!! it has a bendix 2 speed manual and works great i put about 3 miles onit this afternoon and rides awesome!!
2012-05-06_20-42-41_519.jpg

2012-05-06_20-42-53_298.jpg

2012-05-06_17-40-46_502.jpg

A '54 with a Bendix 2-speed lever action would be the oldest bike I've seen with a hub like that. I wonder if it's original to the bike? The lever action ended about '60 but I've never been able to determine when they first came out. Gary

From the trfindley webpage: "The 2-speed cable operated hub was made from 1952 to 1961."

Nice bike! One can never go wrong with a middleweight Schwinn and I have one just like this. The Corvette didn't actually premier until the '55 model year but a late '54 date would be right as they released them a month or so before the end of the year for christmas shopping.

I have a blue Aviation 2-speed with a serial that matches a Nov. '54 date as well as a '56 date. Mine's likely '56 but I still like to think it's one of the first Corvettes ever out of the Schwinn factory in christmas of '54 8)

DSCF3420.jpg

509clunk said:
The original owner said he got it for christmas but I can't confirm the year he recieved it

Post the serial from the rear dropout. Or dig through the Schwinn serials online; they're easy to find and can normally narrow it down to the day. My bike just happened to be from one of the few serial number blunders that double dipped.

Enjoy! They're great riding bikes and an original owner one is very cool! I had a Spaceliner that was original owner; new from his twelfth birthday.

You have a nice Bike there! I didnt know too much about these manual 2 speeds (still don't) but I know more then I did last week when I got a 55 american off CL How does your coaster brake look? the Bendix logo on mine is painted bright red.

Sorry the pics on the crappy side.

The coaster works great , getting used to the shifting is another thing , I keep trying to stop peddling like a sturmey 3 speed when shifting

Awesome! 'Vettes RULE! I bought my '56 in 1980, for $2.50 at a garage sale, still have it! (need to get it put together and rolling again)! -Adam

Latest posts

Back