1955 Hawthorne #1

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So this is the first of my pair of '55 Hawthorne's. I basically stripped them both and then built this one using the "rougher" parts. Cleaned off the dirt, but left the paint and chrome nice and patina-ed. Threw on some brown Quick Brick's and brown HW grips for a head to toe brown beauty. Springer works like new and the headlight shines nice and bright. Stay tuned for the twin!

DSC00685.jpg

DSC00680.jpg

DSC00682.jpg

DSC00684.jpg

DSC00692.jpg

DSC00686.jpg

love the look! especially that springer!!!
what type of battery powers that headlight; is it an internal battery? do you have lights in that rear rack as well?

That rules already! I have a similar bike that's more of a burgundy color, and funky sky blue pinstripes on the fenders! It came with a Monark sprocket, which seems highly unlikely to me to be original, but ya never know! ~Adam

Thanks for the feedback everyone! This is definitely one of my faves in the stable. Daddyo-there is a 6-volt "lantern" style battery that fits inside the tank that powers the horn, headlight, taillight, and turn signals. I have the turn signal switch that mounts to the top tube, but not the internals for the rack-lights assembly. I have a template (my other Hawthorne has it all) and it doesn't look terribly complicated. I may gut a few flashlights and see if I can make one. I was doing laps in the neighborhood last weekend and I can't believe how smooth she rides. I'm a big fella and that springer soaks it all up!

I wish my Hawthorn was that solid... Id be riding it instead of tripping over the boxes its in...

Sweet ride...

wow...i guess i have never seen tires fitting the paint so good before :shock: (exept for on flat black bikes) :mrgreen:

Back