1955 Schwinn Deluxe Hornet, 2 tone green

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just dragged him home last night, craig's list find. Top is yesterday and bottom after 1st cleaning.. a scrub-a-dub with two table spoons of toilet bowl cleaner 1 cup of Industrial, concentrated 'all purpose cleaner' and gallon of water, with plastic scrub brush.

a super duper hosing to get the cleaners out and then a wipe down with WD-40 to get some oils inside of paint and presumably, push any possible detergent/toilet bowl cleaner out of microscopic areas. ..

Next comes a complete teardown for oxalic acid bath unless can find 'as-cheap-as', (epay has 2 pounds fer $10.50 delivered) none paint eating, rust removal stuff that's better??. . .
On the lookout fer the 2 tone green tank on the super cheap now too. [hint]

It didn't appear to change much 'in-person' and photo looks a hello-lot better than but it's opalescent green and sea green now:

1955-Deluxe-Horent-1st-clea_zpsec7a18b7.jpg

Last edited:
That looks awsome. Be sure to direct any non correct colored cheap tanks you find my way... I'm looking for a cheap tank.

On the lookout fer the 2 tone green tank on the super cheap now too. [hint]
It didn't appear to change much 'in-person' and photo looks a hello-lot better than but it's opalescent green and sea green now:

So, Aluminum foil trick? a 3" X 3" sheet doesn't work so swell but take a 12" X 12" sheet, wad it into a 2-3" ball, dip in water and go to town. the more wrinkles in the foil the better the scrubbing action. It works best when there's a combination of things working fer ya. Wrinkles become your scrubber and when the gray film develops it's your activator. Elbow grease required.

In a few minutes a gray scum develops and the cleaning action begins. Near the end that whole sheet turns into a little finger pusher and game over.

Rust-cleaing-W-Alumium-foil_zps1199ba9b.jpg

Last edited:
That looks awsome. Be sure to direct any non correct colored cheap tanks you find my way... I'm looking for a cheap tank.
Added aluminum scrubbing feature and if me finds da cheap tank, that I don't want, Ur up.

Here ya go, This tank is an almost right color, I''d bet somebody with a 55 deluxe hornet might want. Because under the black and inside of tank it sure looks like opal green!.. That means though, it's not a deluxe and more likely a hornet or another verity made during the period, approximately 1954-- when Opel green/red etc. was being painted and Schwinn made the flatbar frame. It could be anybody's guess on that one because there's catalogs which say inside they had other verities and styles that were not inside of them too. Maybe it's for an opal green regular hornet!
Opps almost forgot: http://www.ebay.com/itm/391119608749?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Regardless opal green or not,, it ain't a fricken deluxe nor two toned..

Not to leave out,, the stupid bidders for it don't seem to care for the fact that I want one cheap!. and If I gotta paint the danged thing to correct colors, that's gonna cost some bucks $$$ plus wouldn't ever match the state of mine . but what's cheap for you I no know. Cheap fer me is correct colors and as crappy state of condition as mine is [grin]

Last edited:
Back