1956 JC Higgins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Though this doesn't necessarily say much about your particular bike, it has some of Adam's wisdom on another JCH mystery. :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=49991

(also links back to the thread about a member's Stelber made JCH, which I think I saw posted here already)

Interesting, a Murray built JCH is atmped 'MOD 502', and the imported lightweights are usually '503'. So here we have 506! And, 4502 (0) is the catalog # for a 1956 26" cruiser. Actually, in the book, the cat. # is blocked by the page number, but the girls' version is 4503. The ad copy says "Made in W. Germany to Sears' specifications." And thanks for the link Unchained, I knew I just recently posted the story, what I know of it. -Adam

Wow, I'm more confused than ever, but what I do know, is that this is a cool bike, I got it for a decent price and it should make a cool rat.

Nice find youth, I'm with you I wish I could find deals like that more often. I rarely ever find tank bikes around here and when I do the tanks are missing. I do know of two honey holes here in Kokomo but prices are retail +$50 at the one and insanity X2 at the other. I do have a friend who has a few bikes I am starting to loosen his grip on but that is a work in progress, Got him to come off some of the projects but none with an intact tank...yet. :wink:

Urrrgh...she wouldnt sell it to me! I tried to buy it out from under ya! :mrgreen: I was in new bern and woulda been there at 7 am to get it but because she promised it to you...its good to know there are still people of their word out there! Enjoy it. BTW I have been DREADING DREADING DREADING logging on to here and seeing it up in fresh finds...one more URGH for the road.

heyslugger said:
Urrrgh...she wouldnt sell it to me! I tried to buy it out from under ya! :mrgreen: I was in new bern and woulda been there at 7 am to get it but because she promised it to you...its good to know there are still people of their word out there! Enjoy it. BTW I have been DREADING DREADING DREADING logging on to here and seeing it up in fresh finds...one more URGH for the road.

How'd you get from Oregon to New Bern so quickly? They were a nice family, I probably spent an hour just talking with the guy about ministry and other close connections, such a small world.

I don't contact a CL seller and set up a meeting unless I am 100% sure I can make it, so I am glad they stuck to it too. CL is full of people who just flake out all the time and it's so upsetting to wait for someone who never shows up or calls back. Ignorance, at least have the courtesy to call and cancel. I waited at home while my wife and kids drove to Virginia one night to my parents house waiting on a couple to come buy my 1983 Honda Odyssey, when hours past I called them and the guy was at home, said he was going to come tomorrow. I told him I had postponed a weekend trip waiting for him, he did get there about 3 hours later, I was pretty upset and ended up asking them for more money, which they gave me. I don't know what people think, that others selling on CL are just stores waiting for you to show up whenever you want or not at all! Ugh...

OK, rant off.

How'd you get from Oregon to New Bern so quickly? [/quote]

I live out here in OR but my folks retired to New Bern. I was out there for three weeks on vacation and had some alerts that didnt turn up anything on CL so I started just looking at the bicycle section as a whole and this one was the first or second I saw! Enjoy it and as you work on it and post pics somewhere pls PM me and shoot me the links or the pics! I feel an irrational connection to this one! I hope you have a blast building it up!!

heyslugger said:
I live out here in OR but my folks retired to New Bern. I was out there for three weeks on vacation and had some alerts that didnt turn up anything on CL so I started just looking at the bicycle section as a whole and this one was the first or second I saw! Enjoy it and as you work on it and post pics somewhere pls PM me and shoot me the links or the pics! I feel an irrational connection to this one! I hope you have a blast building it up!!

I don't know if this bike will get a "build" per se just a clean up, some details, bars etc... I'm sure I'll post it somewhere, I'll keep you up to date.

With the rarity of these bikes in your area. You might want to consider a restoration/refurbish on it. Make it the bike that you ride on special events, like Saturdays... :mrgreen:

Just chiming in.... :roll:

Dr. Tankenstein said:
With the rarity of these bikes in your area. You might want to consider a restoration/refurbish on it. Make it the bike that you ride on special events, like Saturdays... :mrgreen:

Just chiming in.... :roll:

I like tank bikes, but I actually prefer them in this condition, if I were to fix it up and make it shiny then all I'd get would be "Cool PeeWee Herman bike" and thought I like the movie, I would rather not ride the bike. I also don't want it to look like I just pulled grandpas bike out of the shed and started riding it, I want people to see that I've made it my own.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Makes sense to me, rat it and ride it bro!

Haha, I will ride it though it would be hard to make it rattier without destroying it. I think (besides the crusty wheels) my biggest concern is the 3 piece crank, one crank arm is loose and I haven't deciphered why yet, only touched it once.

tighten up the cottered pin. worked for me on another bike with that type crank.

jerrykr said:
tighten up the cottered pin. worked for me on another bike with that type crank.

This will be the first thing I attempt once I start working on it, my only concern would be that it's been ridden this way and worn out. I do have a couple bikes with the older looking english cranks, so I think I got parts if needed, I do prefer a 1 piece crank though, at least on this style bike.

What a cool find and story!!! Major scorage there!!!!!!
Looking forward to you apefying it!

So Glad I found this post. I also have a German Built Higgins identical to this. I found a proper rack on this site (It is different than US Version) and am looking again for the fenderlight. I had a partial fenderlight until tree branch fell on build stand(another story). I have Pictures of bike before tank was repainted. These bikes seem to be few and far between. Converted mine to Nexus Three Speed for the time being and changed out the bars. I will post more pics when Rack is also done. The frame is lighter than the American counterpart.
DSCI0270.jpg

DSCI0407.jpg

Back