1956 Raleigh Sport

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got real lucky yesterday when someone gave a me bunch of bikes and these two were in the pile. The one in the back is not anything special, but it those have a working Nexus 4 hub and shifter. The Raleigh (#18903RC date on the hub Nov 1956) came with a B66 Brooks saddle in decent condition, nothing a litle Dubbin can't fix. I went out and got a set of 26 X 1.5 to fit the Raleigh and it's going to get a basic overhaul with some modern gear. I want this build to be done fast, so nothing real fancy in perspective.

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nice snag!, I'm very jealous.

Well this one went pretty fast. I had some free time from the kitchen remodeling and I had a pretty good idea where I was going. I also was fortunate enough that small hurdles didn't become big ones. The frame had some issues at the rear drop outs. The Nexus axle is a bit bigger than the original, so I had to file the drop outs to make it slide in. It was also a tight fit width wise, requiring some motivation by a real big flat screwdriver. I was going to keep the original pedals, but a road test showed that they were crooked something bad. I also had the luck to find a St-Christopher bell today that was old by a long gone bike shop here in Montreal years ago. I sprayed the original finish with clear lacquer and repacked the headset bearings. The BB was left alone for now, those cotter pins won't budge. I managed to get the Nexus going but I still have to fiddle a bit with the adjustments, I'm still a newbie with that.

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

Wow that's nice. I had the same problem with the pins on mine and I found a tool designed specifically for that job. I built my own version and it works good. The guy was selling them for $50. They are machined from billet steel and used 7/16 fine threads. it has some force. That bike must fly!

Back