1957 Evans Olympic

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also if you click on his "sellers details" from the FB listing, then you can see his other listings. Some of them are in the same building/backdrop and his posting for the Evans Olympic.
I did check his other listings but hadn't noticed the backgrounds. I'll message him and see what happens, thanks!

Congrats! That is gonna be a great score!

Turns out the owner is a really cool guy who does high quality bike work, custom and resto. He didn’t get around to this one and is selling it and some others as he is moving out of the country. It’s loaded up and I’m heading home. Stoked!
IMG_1216.jpeg
IMG_1217.jpeg
IMG_1218.jpeg

CONGRATS!!

Home sweet home. I’m another day behind on projects but I think it was worth it for this one. These don’t pop up very often. This may actually have its original wheels. New Departure rear hub and MarkVII made in USA front. I had just assumed they were modern cruiser wheels. Now I’ll be thinking about how I want to resto-mod it. I’ll be keeping my eyes open for more correct fenders, rack and headlight, though I think the light is going to be either unobtainium or very expensive.
IMG_1219.jpeg
IMG_1220.jpeg

Turns out the owner is a really cool guy who does high quality bike work, custom and resto. He didn’t get around to this one and is selling it and some others as he is moving out of the country. It’s loaded up and I’m heading home. Stoked!
View attachment 270340View attachment 270341View attachment 270342
It looks great, no rust and all straight. I didn't know Evans had a seat stem like the AMF's with a wedge.
Frame and fork are repainted, but the chain guard and tank are original? If so, maybe there's good paint under there.

It looks great, no rust and all straight. I didn't know Evans had a seat stem like the AMF's with a wedge.
Frame and fork are repainted, but the chain guard and tank are original? If so, maybe there's good paint under there.
Yeah, this bike is really clean overall. I don’t think it had a hard life. Besides someone getting too aggressive with tightening the headset once upon a time and cracking the lower bearing cup. I can see the original blue teal here and there in the chipped paint on frame forks and tank. I think this must have been a real nice low mile survivor when someone ‘restored’ it. They actually did a nice job with the pin striping tape. I’m not crazy about the paint. I may Rat-iNa it for a while but it deserves a nice paint job. Maybe I will try to strip the paint back to the original.
IMG_1224.jpeg
IMG_1228.jpeg
IMG_1229.jpeg
IMG_1226.jpeg

The chrome strip on the chain guard is in perfect condition. Chain guard isn’t scored or dented. There is a dent in the right side tank, probably from falling over in the shop. It should pop right out. I can’t find a serial number anywhere. I wonder if there might be a date on the crank. From what I’ve found online I think it probably is a 57. Possibly a 56 but definitely not a 55 or 58.
IMG_1227.jpeg
IMG_1225.jpeg

Actually, I can make out what looks like 36 on the rear dropout. Not sure what that might mean.

Last edited:
The fenders are not like most. They are squared off like rain gutter fenders. They might be difficult to find but if you look long enough, you'll find some!

View attachment 270359

I'll be removing these fenders post haste. They look terrible and are incorrect. There's a more correct set on ebay like those in your pic that look pretty straight that I'm going to buy.

My first bike was a 24" Scout. I rode it with a broken rear axle for weeks until it finally gave out.

I have serial number data on most old American brand bikes, but can't find anything worthwhile for Evans.

My first bike was a 24" Scout. I rode it with a broken rear axle for weeks until it finally gave out.

I have serial number data on most old American brand bikes, but can't find anything worthwhile for Evans.
There's not much info available online either. Apparently they didn't sell very well which is a little surprising to me. I think they are pretty cool.

Here's what info I've been able to find online. From this add it shows 'Flamboyant Green' as a color option. With the other details I'm pretty sure my bike is a '57. The bike in the add has a manual 2 speed. I don't know if that was standard or optional. Claimed weight on these fully kitted out was 70 lbs!
1719067905882.png

This bike also looks like a '57 but it's the other color option 'glowing gold'
1719067957117.png

Some other interesting Evans adds
1719068012634.png

1719068027019.png

1719068042791.png

1719068062438.png

This is the horn/headlight combo I need to find. As if. This bike also has the correct pedals.
1719068134452.png

1719068156055.png

Back