1957 schwinn identity crisis

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this bike a while back with some others. Not a big schwinn fan but it was kinda clean so I got it. Today I drug it out and ran the serial number . the site said it was a 1957 . the number was 7d35790 on the back droupout. It has s7 rims with 26 x 1 3/4 tires. it looks like a middle weight bike ,but the fenders look like you could put bigger tires on it. Anyway when I looked at other pictures of 1957 schwinn bikes they were cantileaver frames . Wonder what is up with this one??? any clues??

1957schwinn003.jpg

1957schwinn002.jpg

1957schwinn001.jpg

Yeah looks like they made several cheap models without all the bells and whistles . Can you put any normal tire on them or do you have to run the 26 x 1 3/4?
Would make a good rat for someone that likes schwinns :roll: thanks for the info guys

Hey thats what im talking about . Would rather someone came over and beat me up than ship a bike ha ha oh well there is always c/l

Kenda makes a 26x2. 1 3/4 tire for that rim. They will work just fine.I have used them a few times now. :wink:

Yeah and i have two of them...Another balloon one and this one and dont paticularly like either one. Got to stop buying them. :oops: :cry: :cry: I prefer colson,columbia,elgin or a rollfast.

you can definatly still find tires in the 26 x 1 3/4 sizes, in black and white walls, but that may be your only option. im a big 50's and 60's schwinn cruiser fan myself. yours could be a wasp, spitfire or maybe even an american. nice bike though. :D

Tornado, Spitfire, or possibly a Flying Star. Would have had painted S-7's though. If you pull the front axle, it may have the year stamped on it. Middleweights had the bigger fenders thru 1960 at least. Not as wide as the ballooner fenders, but a different radius for the taller S-7 rims. I ran regular 26" rims with 2.125 Kenda ww's on my 56 Corvette without problems. ~Adam

Its a repaint im sure . I'm pretty sure when the weather get better and i can paint I will shoot some color on it and flip it. I have always felt Schwinns are a little over priced so they are not my choice in bikes ,but I keep ending up with them for some strange reason.

It really does other than mine has chrome wheels. Maybe an add on Who knows . Wish it had the chainguard with the name on it ....yeah right. :cry:

Yeah I have several sets ,and sometime this spring when I drag everything out , that is probably what I will put on it and flip it on c/l. A little red paint ,some cool 26 balloon tires and it ought to sell like hot cakes . If there is an economy left. :roll: :roll:

Back