1957 Schwinn Tornado......PROJECT BOMBER***FINISHED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I know I should be working on my build-off bike, but I'm waiting on tires (should be here Thursday). Needed a little quick gratification....so! I'm going to build me a quick Klunker/Bomber style bike. It also helped that I just scored a really nice set of 50's era S 2's. Last of the parts I needed to do this. The basis is an original paint '57 Schwinn Tornado.....I love the look of these straight bars.

I could use some help finding a new Tornado decal for the chain guard. I'm not going to repaint it.....just a wash, polish and redecal it. I could also use a set of Schwinn truss rods :mrgreen:

Stripped it down this afternoon to the bare essentials.....I wonder what the white X on the fork tube meant????

Re: 1957 Schwinn Tornado......PROJECT BOMBER

Well..a little progress. Cleaned the framed and waxed it and got a few parts cleaned and installed. I'll clean the bottom bracket parts, grease them and service the hubs and clean the rims up in the next several days. It's getting a set of vintage chrome S2's and some white wall knobbies. New Departure rear hub and Schwinn script front.

Looking at it I think I managed to keep it all Schwinn. Painted stuff is '57 Tornado. Crank sprocket and pedals are from the Tornado. Seat is a Mesinger from a late 70's Schwinn. Stem and bars are from a '56 Phantom I parted out. The Schwinn script cantilever brakes are mid to late 50's. Grips are Schwinn cushion grips from a 60's lightweight Schwinn.

Should look like it's been together for years when I'm done :mrgreen:

Re: 1957 Schwinn Tornado......PROJECT BOMBER

Rat Rod said:
SimpleMan said:
I wonder what the white X on the fork tube meant????

Defective...do not use! :lol:

All right .....you talked me out of it. I cleaned the defective white X off :mrgreen:

Re: 1957 Schwinn Tornado......PROJECT BOMBER update 6/27

Digging through my tires to see what I have for the build and pulled out these. I'm kinda leaning toward the old blue gumwall Carlisle's and keep it all vintage...... it is almost the 4th. Kinda patriotic :wink:

lookin real good jeff! the nicest klunk ive seen so far! :D

Thanks Gowjobs and Stretch for the compliments!

Got the wheels cleaned and trued, hubs cleaned and greased and scrubbed the vintage gumwalls. I like it......I know gumwalls aren't everybodys taste, especially blue ones! I still need to assemble the bottom bracket and clean the chain. Also needs the decals installed..still need a Tornado guard decal if anyone knows where I can find one.

Also need to reproduce the cable clip.....holds the cable steady to the stem and just keeps it from flopping around. Found this picture..shouldn't be to bad!

As it sits tonight....

Re: 1957 Schwinn Tornado......PROJECT BOMBER updated 6/28

ooh. whats the plans for the BB setup? :D

Re: 1957 Schwinn Tornado......PROJECT BOMBER updated 6/28

Ok.....It's all done 'cept for the decals. Won't be getting those till the swap meet in Portland, Indiana in 2 weeks.

Hearing talk of building affordable vintage bikes.....it can be done if your patient and know what you want. I started collecting parts for this build last fall. It's nothing fancy but literally looks like it could have been built 30 years ago....that was my goal and on a budget. I've got an honest out of pocket $130 in this bike. Not much more than a Wally World bike that has no soul. This old stuff is American made and harkens back to simple times I love to romanticise about. Everyones taste and opinions are different...this is mine on both accounts :wink: I could never go into a store and throw money away on a new bike or parts. The way I look at the expense of the old stuff.....well, with careful shopping and doing your home work you can ALWAYS get your money back or even make money. Try that with a new bike/part :mrgreen: You just have to be patient and believe me thats not one of my virtues :mrgreen:

My advice and it works is to build a bike to start with.....even a new one. Get out there and ride it and talk to the people that inquire about it. Most everyone had a bike.......some still have that old gem sitting out in the shed. Let them talk about it, ask to see it, don't hide your enthusiasm for it and they will see you love them. They may ask if your interested in it...if not ask about the possibility of getting rid of it. You'll be surprised at how much turns up.......but you need to build that first one so people see your serious about them....just my 2 cents :mrgreen:

Hope you like it.....looks better in person. Nate, thanks for sending this down this way :mrgreen:

really nice parts combination you got there! :D you nailed the vintage vibe you were after! whats the story on those front brake calipers? really sweet whatever they are. 8)

The front brakes are mid to late 50's Schwinn. They came on at least one middle weight model when it was equipped with a 2 speed. .....also offered as an accessory. Fairly rare from what I'm told but I don't know how many models they came on.

SimpleMan said:
Needed a little quick gratification....so! I'm going to build me a quick Klunker/Bomber style bike. It also helped that I just scored a really nice set of 50's era S 2's. Last of the parts I needed to do this. The basis is an original paint '57 Schwinn Tornado.....I love the look of these straight bars.

Outstanding bomber! The scripted cantis make it for me.

Reminds me of Otis Guy's repack bike:
http://clunkers.net/otisg_dx.html

Thanks for the compliment. I'm still torn about the chain guard and will be adding a set of truss rods if I find a decent set.

J_Westy said:
SimpleMan said:
Needed a little quick gratification....so! I'm going to build me a quick Klunker/Bomber style bike. It also helped that I just scored a really nice set of 50's era S 2's. Last of the parts I needed to do this. The basis is an original paint '57 Schwinn Tornado.....I love the look of these straight bars.

Outstanding bomber! The scripted cantis make it for me.

Jeff, That is absolutely beautiful! Like a work of art! :mrgreen: It really, genuinely, on all accounts, looks like it was built 30 years ago.

Yes...I think to be a true klunker it needs the guard removed. I just like it :mrgreen: I also like the Mesinger rubber seat but if a decent Brooks came along I'd probably change it.
J_Westy said:
SimpleMan said:
...I'm still torn about the chain guard and will be adding a set of truss rods if I find a decent set.

J_Westy said:

How about no chain guard? Or is that what you're torn about?

Truss rods will look great!

Keep us klunker fans posted.

Back