1958 Phillips Lightweight

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a 1958 Phillips Lightweight from a guy who said it had been hanging up in a barn for 40 years. I took it apart to rebuild and came across a womens 1963 version. Except this one had a Strumey-Archer three speed, rear brakes, and better rims.

I did not want to ruin the decals and loved the patina of the original frame, so I cleaned it, reapplied the yellow pin striping (a bit heavier than original) and clear coated it (4 coats, sanding in between).

I love the result and after screwing up and breaking the indicator, I learned how to set the gearing in a Sturmey-Archer and now? I enjoy the ride!! Very proper English riding experience. Very "straight up" riding!

BEFORE

phillips 1.jpg
phillips 2.jpg

phillips 3.jpg

AFTER

phillips 4.jpg
phillps 7.jpg
phillips 5.jpg

It is so cool to ride. I had my doubts about buying it initially but after I rode it the first time before restoration I was hooked.

Wow! That is beautiful! I love a good english 3 speed. Almost impossible not to smile while riding one.

Question? Did you do anything to protect the brakes from rusting? I have similar brakes on a bike in my possession now and they almost instantly rusted after I cleaned them up.

For all the stainless I brushed it all with a brass brush to remove the rust then buffed it all on a polishing wheel. So far so good. I figure is the rsut comes back a small brass brush will take care of it. The brake pads, I had to reuse the John Bull brake pads...I mean an English bicycle needs those! They are hard as heck and squeak horribly but they stop the bike and are "authentic"

Latest posts

Back