1958 Western Flyer Golden Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Picked this one up at a swap last weekend. It's a complete basketcase, but I'm having fun putting the old boy back together. (The only hang up so far is a missing shoulder bolt for the rat trap springer. If anyone has one I'd be MUCH obliged.) I haven't cleaned it or anything yet—having too much fun with the assembly! Here's the progress so far:

Still have to put the rack, wheels, and headbadge back on, not to mention finishing the springer. I've also got the internals for the Delta tanklights. The only thing that isn't there are the pedals so I'm going to see what I've got laying around for now. I've had the tank for one of these before and I traded it to Kingfish for the Newsboy tank. Pretty stoked to have the whole bike!

I just happen to know someone that has one of those tanks. 8)

Ain't that right nateyboy? Glad to see you found a replacement.

kingfish254 said:
I just happen to know someone that has one of those tanks. 8)

Ain't that right nateyboy? Glad to see you found a replacement.
:lol: I reckon you do! Still glad we made the trade. The 3-Star (Firewing) is looking great! I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this one yet. The wheels and rack are toasty, but I might be able to resurrect them. It was definitely an impulse buy, but I likes me a good project!

I've got an original Golden Flyer in my collection. Don't mean to ruffle any feathers, but the Golden Flyer was a one year only bike, 1959, commemorating 50 years of Western Flyer. The original seat was a golden colored seat with a small circular pattern.

oldfart36 said:
I've got an original Golden Flyer in my collection. Don't mean to ruffle any feathers, but the Golden Flyer was a one year only bike, 1959, commemorating 50 years of Western Flyer. The original seat was a golden colored seat with a small circular pattern.

You are correct sir. I mistyped the year. The bike didn't come with a seat, so I found a "gold-ish" crashrail Troxel similar (in shape) to the one that originally came with it and put it on. This poor boy had been completely disassembled when I bought it. It was literally a pile of parts. I'm going to get it back together, but it won't be all original. It just happens to have one of my all-time favorite tanks so I couldn't pass it up! :D

I've enjoyed lurking and watching some of your other adventures so to speak. Your taste in bikes is alot like mine. What amazes me about these "Golden Flyers", being a one year bike, you'd think they'd be a more rare and sought after bike then it seems they are right now. :roll:

Latest posts

Back