JC Higgins "false cantilever" age and value

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to figure out what year this Murray-built JC Higgins bike was made, but so far I've had no luck decoding the serial number or finding photos of this bike in any catalogs. I want to say it's a mid-50s model, but I don't know. It has chain/seat stays wide enough for balloon tires, but with middleweight fender mounts. It uses the older style of dropouts without the "swoop" found on later middleweight Murrays. And there's no model name on the chain guard or elsewhere on the bike; just "JC Higgins."

I'd also like to know what this bike may be worth, as I'm trying to decided if I want to keep it or sell it. From what I can tell, it's all original down to the matching Sears Allstate Safety Tread tires. Nothing's locked up, and I bet it'd take little more than cleaning and repacking the bearings to be a smooth rider once again.
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_8.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_9.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_10.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_11.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_12.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_13.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_14.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_15.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_16.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_17.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_20.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_21.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_22.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_23.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_24.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_25.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_26.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_27.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_28.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_29.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_30.jpg

Here's the serial number from under the bottom bracket. From what I can read, it says: 46861Y MOD502 (could also be MOD562, but I don't know. The 2 is pretty messed up as well.) 136664.
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_serial_number.jpg

Any help identifying and evaluating this bike is much appreciated. Thanks!

Wow! That looks to be in great shape. And such a simple bike. My kind of bike. Personally I think it would be a shame to modify that. I would just clean it up and make it a rider. But this is ratrod bikes. Do whatever you want! It’s yours.

What’s it worth? In my opinion , I have come to realize 99.8% of all used bikes are worth diddly squat at best. At least in terms of $$. The real value is your own enjoyment and appreciation. Anyone trying to turn a profit with used bikes is fighting a losing battle.

Love the bike!!

Latest posts

Back