1959 JC Higgins Semi-Equipped Sport Middleweight value?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to figure out what year this Murray-built JC Higgins bike was made, but so far I've had no luck decoding the serial number or finding photos of this bike in any catalogs. I want to say it's a mid-50s model, but I don't know. It has chain/seat stays wide enough for balloon tires, but with middleweight fender mounts. It uses the older style of dropouts without the "swoop" found on later middleweight Murrays. And there's no model name on the chain guard or elsewhere on the bike; just "JC Higgins."

I'd also like to know what this bike may be worth, as I'm trying to decided if I want to keep it or sell it. From what I can tell, it's all original down to the matching Sears Allstate Safety Tread tires. Nothing's locked up, and I bet it'd take little more than cleaning and repacking the bearings to be a smooth rider once again.
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_8.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_9.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_10.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_11.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_12.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_13.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_14.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_15.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_16.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_17.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_20.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_21.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_22.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_23.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_24.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_25.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_26.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_27.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_28.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_29.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_30.jpg

Here's the serial number from under the bottom bracket. From what I can read, it says: 46861Y MOD502 (could also be MOD562, but I don't know. The 2 is pretty messed up as well.) 136664.
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_serial_number.jpg

Any help identifying and evaluating this bike is much appreciated. Thanks!

Wow! That looks to be in great shape. And such a simple bike. My kind of bike. Personally I think it would be a shame to modify that. I would just clean it up and make it a rider. But this is ratrod bikes. Do whatever you want! It’s yours.

What’s it worth? In my opinion , I have come to realize 99.8% of all used bikes are worth diddly squat at best. At least in terms of $$. The real value is your own enjoyment and appreciation. Anyone trying to turn a profit with used bikes is fighting a losing battle.

Love the bike!!

Wow! That looks to be in great shape.
I was genuinely surprised by just how intact this JC Higgins was, especially considering how I found it!
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_3.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_5.jpg
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_6.jpg

And such a simple bike. My kind of bike. Personally I think it would be a shame to modify that. I would just clean it up and make it a rider. But this is ratrod bikes. Do whatever you want! It’s yours.
The only way I thought about modifying it was to bolt on a chrome rear rack to balance out the rack up front, and throw some fresh whitewall tires on it. Other than that, keep it clean and make it functional.
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_rack.jpg

What’s it worth? In my opinion , I have come to realize 99.8% of all used bikes are worth diddly squat at best. At least in terms of $$.
Really? Even vintage and antique bikes? Not sure I agree with you there, not after all the bicycle swap meets and sales/trades I've done over the years.
The real value is your own enjoyment and appreciation. Anyone trying to turn a profit with used bikes is fighting a losing battle.

Love the bike!!
Well here's the thing: as nice of a bike as this is, I don't want another restoration project, especially not in red. I've already got more factory red bikes than I'd ever want, but I also don't want to mess up the nice paint and patina this bike has. I'm a customizer at heart, but I also care about preservation as well. I'm thinking about selling this bike to someone who'd like it better than I do, so I can use the money to fix up and customize the bikes I appreciate more.

Glad you like it though!

Okay, I think I have the bike identified thanks to the folks on The Cabe. Looks like it's a Semi-Equipped Sport Middleweight JC Higgins from 1959.
Mine's missing the original seat, pedals and headlight based on the Sears catalog photo, but is otherwise factory correct.
1959 JC Higgins Sport Middleweight.PNG

Now I just have to find out what it's worth.

You'll probably be disappointed to find what you can get for it. A 65 year old American made bike, original, should go for a lot more.

Your plan to keep it is probably best. New tires and tubes and lubed up is a good plan. The handlebar stem looks like it's past it's height limit, unless it's not a standard stem.

You'll probably be disappointed to find what you can get for it. A 65 year old American made bike, original, should go for a lot more.

Your plan to keep it is probably best. New tires and tubes and lubed up is a good plan. The handlebar stem looks like it's past it's height limit, unless it's not a standard stem.
Well that's why I'd like to find out what it's worth, disappointment or not. If I can sell it for a price I'm happy with, then I'll sell it, but if not, then I'll look through my inventory for something else I can sell instead.

I will say that after learning more about this bike today, and just knowing how uncommon this type of frame is, it is a cool Murray to have in my collection.

Okay, I think I have the bike identified thanks to the folks on The Cabe. Looks like it's a Semi-Equipped Sport Middleweight JC Higgins from 1959.
Mine's missing the original seat, pedals and headlight based on the Sears catalog photo, but is otherwise factory correct.
View attachment 281670

Now I just have to find out what it's worth.
The answer I hate the most is: “It’s worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.”

My thoughts: someone may pay $100 for its condition with the seat and racks. Basically a Cantilever which there are so many. It would need a real “service” which costs money, unless it’s a builder/tinkerer like us. I can find a quality Electra (example) for around the same price through market places. Part out is the way to make money. I think most, in this age and condition could get $100 unless it’s something special.

FYI I got the Hellion frame for $40. Schwinn Corvette, painted and pinstriped. Lamia step through fame with tank for $20, bundled with a CWC at $85 total. I paid $160 including shipping for my Wards Hawthorne frame. That was for my last build Thunderbolt, which is what I would consider a “special” frame.
I learning along with you. My current predicament
Is attempting To flip a women’s Electra “Paisely” 3 speed.
I bought it for $40, basically for the awesome aluminum wheels and easy to use 3 speed setup. I picked up the bike and thought it was too nice to rob the parts from. It has bars I really want to take from it. It had flat tires. Bought slime tubes for it for $8.00 and the cool 8 ball white wall tires blew out their bead while airing them up. They were toast. So I spent $40 on the cheapest white walls I could find. I’m in for $88 now. Then I realized that the rear wheel is super wonky and I don’t know if I’m good enough at trueing to fix it. So,$$$??? Maybe $20 to $40 more. Call it $20. Oh and it didn't have the 3 speed push rod to make it all work so I’m hunting for that. I plan to redo the tassels on the grips and seat, which would be another $14. So I could be $125 invested in the bike. In the spring I could maybe ask $200 and take $150. Most I see would sell around that price. And it will be ready to enjoy.
If I can’t sell it, I will take everything I want from it and probably ditch the frame. Too hard to sell and shipping is expensive.
Would it be worth the trouble to make the $75 large? I’m not so sure.

Good luck man! I hope you find something useful from my ramblings. ✌🏻

The answer I hate the most is: “It’s worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.”

My thoughts: someone may pay $100 for its condition with the seat and racks. Basically a Cantilever which there are so many. It would need a real “service” which costs money, unless it’s a builder/tinkerer like us. I can find a quality Electra (example) for around the same price through market places. Part out is the way to make money. I think most, in this age and condition could get $100 unless it’s something special.

FYI I got the Hellion frame for $40. Schwinn Corvette, painted and pinstriped. Lamia step through fame with tank for $20, bundled with a CWC at $85 total. I paid $160 including shipping for my Wards Hawthorne frame. That was for my last build Thunderbolt, which is what I would consider a “special” frame.
I learning along with you. My current predicament
Is attempting To flip a women’s Electra “Paisely” 3 speed.
I bought it for $40, basically for the awesome aluminum wheels and easy to use 3 speed setup. I picked up the bike and thought it was too nice to rob the parts from. It has bars I really want to take from it. It had flat tires. Bought slime tubes for it for $8.00 and the cool 8 ball white wall tires blew out their bead while airing them up. They were toast. So I spent $40 on the cheapest white walls I could find. I’m in for $88 now. Then I realized that the rear wheel is super wonky and I don’t know if I’m good enough at trueing to fix it. So,$$$??? Maybe $20 to $40 more. Call it $20. Oh and it didn't have the 3 speed push rod to make it all work so I’m hunting for that. I plan to redo the tassels on the grips and seat, which would be another $14. So I could be $125 invested in the bike. In the spring I could maybe ask $200 and take $150. Most I see would sell around that price. And it will be ready to enjoy.
If I can’t sell it, I will take everything I want from it and probably ditch the frame. Too hard to sell and shipping is expensive.
Would it be worth the trouble to make the $75 large? I’m not so sure.

Good luck man! I hope you find something useful from my ramblings. ✌🏻
Yeah, it's annoying when I can't get an actual value or estimate when I ask for one.

I think your "ramblings" help add some much needed perspective, honestly. It might be tough to sell this bike for $100 if it's going to take about that much just for someone else to fix it up.

Admittedly, I didn't even buy this bike; I traded a MTB rack and Stingray frame for it, and I didn't have any money in either of those items. The only investment on this bike so far was just the trip to Oklahoma City and back to get it, and even then I was already in town for something else. So basically, even if I only sold this bike for $100 right now, I'd still basically get a $100 profit. That said, while I could certainly use the $100, I do wonder if it'd be worth the trouble to try and sell it at this time for that price. I might fare better if I sold or traded it at a swap meet, but the season's practically over for that where I live, and the next bicycle swap meet that's close enough to home is over 6 months away. Plus I don't know too many bike builders/tinkerers here around Tulsa, especially those interested in old cruiser bikes. The scene around here is more about BMX, mountain biking, and high-end multi-speed skinny-wheel bikes.

I could toy around with parting out this bike, but I'd feel more comfortable doing that with a bike that's not as intact as this one. This old Murray's survived 65 years a lot more gracefully than most bikes tend to, especially when left out in the elements, and it wouldn't feel right to part out such an odd and unusual survivor, at least to me.

Unless someone tells me otherwise, it might just be best to hold onto this JC Higgins, fix it up when I have the time/money, maybe even add my own minor enhancements, and then sell or trade it when the time is right.

Thanks for your input SHP. Much appreciated!

Check out that cantilever setup. They attach near the seatpost, they don't go all the way back to the dropouts like the usual cantilever frame.
View attachment 281695
I know, right? I haven't seen too many cantilevers with a setup like this! What's weird is that at the same time this frame was made, Murray was already building regular cantilever bikes with bars that traveled all the way to the dropouts. Makes me wonder what the reason was behind this design.

I know, right? I haven't seen too many cantilevers with a setup like this! What's weird is that at the same time this frame was made, Murray was already building regular cantilever bikes with bars that traveled all the way to the dropouts. Makes me wonder what the reason was behind this design.
Possibly trying to dodge being sued by Schwinn for the cantilever design.

The patent ran out in 1957, so all the other makers began using that style. Schwinn was always watching like a hawk for any infringements. It could be Murray had a lot of frames started, but as a flatbar before the cantilever style became available. Or they stopped all flatbars frames in 59 but still had the rear triangles made.
That's the first frame I've noticed like that.

The patent ran out in 1957, so all the other makers began using that style. Schwinn was always watching like a hawk for any infringements. It could be Murray had a lot of frames started, but as a flatbar before the cantilever style became available. Or they stopped all flatbars frames in 59 but still had the rear triangles made.
That's the first frame I've noticed like that.
Oh to be a fly on the wall of the Murray factory when they were designing and building these kinds of bikes! Honestly, I think that's what makes this bike so interesting to me: there's a bit of a mystery about its curious design. I thought the reason for it might have been because Murray hadn't set up the tooling needed for their regular cantilever middleweights, but one look at the 1957 Sears catalog shows that they in fact already did! They were ready to build their own cantilevers! Maybe it was a creative way to use up some balloon tire frames or something. I don't know, but it's fun to speculate!

If you were close to me I would make you an offer. I really like it. Like @Shrunken_Head_Pedaler points out, once I start a project like this I wind up spending $150 in parts. New tires and tubes. I can’t resist building new wheels, and there is always something else wrong once you get into the details. I’m sure there are people that would pay more than I would, but I would be in the $50 to $75 range. Anything above that and I would be better off picking something out of the pile of bikes I have already collected. Which is the other challenge. Anyone interested in antique bikes, probably already owns too many.

If you were close to me I would make you an offer. I really like it. Like @Shrunken_Head_Pedaler points out, once I start a project like this I wind up spending $150 in parts. New tires and tubes. I can’t resist building new wheels, and there is always something else wrong once you get into the details. I’m sure there are people that would pay more than I would, but I would be in the $50 to $75 range. Anything above that and I would be better off picking something out of the pile of bikes I have already collected.
If you were close to me, I'd consider it!

Yeah, the only way I can avoid spending money on a bike is if I can build it up using only the parts I already have on hand, or if I can nab a free parts bike off Craigslist/Marketplace. Fortunately, I have a decent amount of parts handy that allow me to do that sometimes, but every now and then I have a vision for a bike that requires parts that I don't have and I can't find cheap. Tires are the worst offenders, as they usually cost an additional $50 or more to get a bike rolling again. I have plenty of 26"x2.125" whitewall tires I got from freebie bikes, but I always have to buy blackwall tires, middleweight tires, 24" tires, 20" tires, and any other tires with a certain color or tread pattern that I want.

Yeah, I could see $50-$75 for this bike in the condition it's in. I was hoping it'd be worth more than that, but at the same time, I'm not too surprised that it isn't worth that much. If we weren't several states apart, I'd be happy to sell it to you or maybe even trade it for parts, but at that value, I think I'll hold onto it for now and fix it up when I'm ready.
Which is the other challenge. Anyone interested in antique bikes, probably already owns too many.
🤣 Too true man, too true!

Latest posts

Back