1960 Rat Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Picked up a 1960 Schwinn frame and forks from a fellow RRB member. Paint isn't real good but it's original so it's staying. BB spins nice, probably just service it, headset feels like it has pea gravel for bearings, I have a extra head set if need be. I should have everything needed except a chain and some small odds and ends, hopefully I can get it mostly finished in a few days. Going to keep it simple and ratty. This is what I'm starting with, 1960 Schwinn.
20171005_182920.jpg

20171005_222224.jpg
The headset was good, just tight, cleaned, greased and reinstalled but I decided to use a different set of forks. I threw in some truss rods and wing nuts also. Not sure about the wind nuts, I like the look but there is a reason nobody uses them anymore. They are going to stay for now.
20171005_221108.jpg
Solid aluminum seatpost and a Brooks saddle. The seat has a canvas oil cloth cover on it. It rains alot here so I want to protect the seat, also I don't want to advertise it's a Brooks when it takes 10 seconds with a crescent wrench to remove. Bottom bracket is next...

Looks good! If that's the original head badge, it's probably a Wasp, a Spitfire had the same paint style but a spitfire head badge.
1960-schwinn-wasp.jpg
Thanks for the info @Wildcat. Badge looks to be original, the seatpost clamp with AS bolt looks original also. Things were going together great so I didn't want to stop. I have her complete less a chain. Has a Sturmey Archer 3 speed. I think it looks pretty dang good. It's 2:50 am now, so I'll post some pics tomarrow in the sunlight.

Back