1961 Corvette

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this out i got this 1952 schwinn Corvette frame, forks, wheels, hubs and spokes from an auction the other day. Its got a Srumy Archer 3 speed i laced to Weinman aluminum wheel. The front is a Wald hub laced to a Weinman wheel also. The handle bars came from a Sting Ray i assume because they came from Rustymotors, (thanks man) and rest of it out of the parts ben. Its got all it needs except for brakes, gotta fix that before i loose the bottom of my shoes :shock: Its a good fast ride. I like it whatya think,
Mike
HPIM7179.jpg

HPIM7182-1.jpg

HPIM7185.jpg

HPIM7184.jpg

Re: 1952 Corvette

Hummm that is weird that Schwinn would have produced a bike called a corvette several years before Chevy made theirs, Who would have thought Chevy would have copied a name for a car from a bike.
Nice build boy, but you know me, I would have stripped and painted it . :shock: :shock:

the starburst badges were around 61-63. the chainguard also looks like 60s to me too. no matter the year, awesome bike.

diggin the lights !!! you ca polish some aluminum calipers up to look as shiny as the rest of the chrome on that thing too !!! Slick Bike

I think I agree with Stretch on this one. Chevy came out with the name first in 1954 and Schwinn was simply riding their coat tails with the popularity of the sports car that every kid wanted back in the day. Maybe you just had a typo, you really meant to write 1962, right? :roll:

Later Travis

Uncle Stretch said:
Hummm that is weird that Schwinn would have produced a bike called a corvette several years before Chevy made theirs, Who would have thought Chevy would have copied a name for a car from a bike.
Nice build boy, but you know me, I would have stripped and painted it . :shock: :shock:
OK Ok i had my dought about the 1952 thing, the frame forks and bottom bracket where on there when i got the thing, the crank has a 61 stamped on it. I thought 60's also the # on the frame is C115255. Surley someone wouldnt put Corvette stuff on an older frame :shock:. As far as the paint goes this is the first bike i have just put together that has not had the paint treatment, but i really dig the pinstripes and the Indianapolis police department register sticker on there. Help me figure this out please, thats one of the reasons i like this site so much.

B607 said:
Why don't you rig up a foot brake like this delivery bike has? Gary
IMG_38991.jpg
Yea i would use a foot brake like that but i have one on a mini bike like that and it doesnt really work when its wet outside :shock:

03/03/61 is the date I came up with. Very nice chainguard, not a bad call going with other wheels. The tires for the S-7's are getting hard to come by.

Doh sorry i miss read that on the identafaction chart :oops:, so how do you like the lights? :lol:. Im changing the name of the post right know. Thank you guys.

Shoot you had me I was wondering why Chevy would have stolen a name from a bike. :shock: :shock: ...Even though its a Schwinn Its a cool bike.

i really like the lights, from the looks i thought they were a generator set at first, but the rear is on and the wheels not moving. what do those things run on ?

and i believe schwinn admitted the corvette was named after the car, but they insisted they pulled "Sting-Ray" out of the dictionary :lol:

CCR said:
and i believe schwinn admitted the corvette was named after the car

Yup, the Corvette was Schwinn's first "middleweight" bike in early 1955, and they considered it their "sporty" model, so they named it after the car that had only been out for two years, but had a decent rep already as the New American Sportscar. Not sure how you got away with that, even back then, but so be it. Anyway, without the tank the other models had, it (the bike) did look a little more streamlined, and back then, the chrome fenders added to the "sportiness" of the model over the painted versions on the balloon bikes, along with the 1 3/4 tires instead of 2 1/8.

Uncle Stretch said:

Actually, a Corvette was a type of Navy ship, smaller than a destroyer. Sailors in WW1 and WW2 said they would "roll on wet grass" because they were so small and easily pitched around on the open ocean. Schwinn may have copied the name from Chevy, but Chevy got the name from the ship. The Corvette car was small and nimble, like the Corvette ship.

Latest posts

Back