1962 Schwinn American,...(Added Finish Pics)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up this 62 Schwinn American today, lots of patina, frame and fork are perfect condition, no pitting at all on those two, that was my main concern, I talked the guy down to less then a third what he was asking. Everything else is questionable, wheels and tires are shot, rear Bendix hub is flaking chrome. Really like the frameset though, I soaked everything down with Rust Breaker when I got home, let it sit for about an hour and everything came apart unbelievably easy, has a cool tank, a little thin on the bottom but I think it will still be useable.

Re: 1962 Schwinn American,...

Nice! Keep us posted.

Thanks guys, tin machine, wish mine were as nice as yours!! :p That thing is Clean!!

Can't go wrong with a Schwinn :mrgreen:

tnt1 said:
not a schwinn fork

That was also the first thing I noticed, when the guy texted me a pic of it, I thought Schwinn but saw the fork and wasn't so sure because I couldn't see the head badge, I'm actually glad it doesn't have the blade fork, I've never had one that was ever straight. This one is straight as an arrow. I rebuilt her tonight, just finished up, cleaned and repacked all the bearings, put another set of wheels on in, also threw on some apes, polished up the cranks and sprocket, rides very nice. Left the frame and fork as is patina'd, looks pretty sweet, I two toned the tank because the chrome was rough on one side, painted up nice with a dark charcoal pinstrip to seperate the colors, also I polished up the headbadge and clear coated it, looks pretty cool, great rider.

Latest posts

Back