1962 Schwinn Motored Bicycle "The Titletown Flyer"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a little late in joining the forum with my build. I have several pictures showing some of the details and finishing work on my 62 schwinn. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I have and will once it's done.

I Had the frame sand blasted. It was a copper color when I got it, but I don't beleive it was origional. I know I probably didn't need to use a origional frame, but I really like how the head tube is smooth into the rest of the frame.

Going forward quite a few months My wife and I hit up the Harley Davidson Museum. I loved seeing all of the early Harleys. A little bit of inspiration never hurts.

Jumping forward even more, I had the frame powder coated black, my father in law made the gas tank for me, and I rattle canned the tins hunter green. I was going for a British racing green sort of. I think it looks pretty good for a rattle can job. I wanted copper fuel lines and I got a glass and chrome fuel filter. I love the way it turned out.

Overall update of the look of the bike. I have a set of gold anodized rims for it. The rear is installed, but I have to re-lace the front rim with a disc hub. I'll be running a hydraulic disc on the front wheel.

Beauty shot outside. Looking GOOD!!!

Finished some brass straps to secure the gas tank in place.

man thats sexy. if you just copy and paste the .img from photobucket you dont have to paste it between the

It's alive!!!! Just took it out for its first miles under power yesterday. Not very comfortable but it sure looks cool. Didn't make it for comfort anyway. Turns a lot of heads and gets lots of smiles.

Took some beauty Shots today in the front yard. I've been taking her around town doing some errands. When I'm parked people really are enjoying it and so am I.

I was having just a tiny bit of gas leaking out of the lines, so I used copper wire to try and solve the problem.

Glad the filter is working. There is a lot of sludge from building the tank. The gas is red from the dye penetrant we used to test for pin hole in the tank.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. In the next week or so I should be getting the front wheel on and install the disc brake on the front. Im also going to get some vinyl letterng made and number plates fabricated.

LukeTheJoker said:
Very nice ride!
I don't normally like motorized bikes, (mainly because here in Australia the laws make most of them illegal and I cant have one!) but yours is very cool!

Luke.

Thanks man, that sucks about not being able to have one. I appreciate the comment.

I agree POR928S its the same here in the UK no motorized push bikes the law stinks ,But this bike rocks could be worth breaking the law a little to have one like this :wink: :wink: 8) 8)

texon said:
I agree POR928S its the same here in the UK no motorized push bikes the law stinks ,But this bike rocks could be worth breaking the law a little to have one like this :wink: :wink: 8) 8)

Thanks, I know some of the motor kits are being regulated to some degree in the USA, but any left over can be sold. Is it more that its a motorized vehicle or the environmental effects of the motor that is the issue in Australia and the UK.

I finally got the front whelk back with the disc hub. Turned out really nice. The mounts for the caliper took some modifications to get everything smooth.

Another overall shot with the new wheel and front brake

POR928S said:
texon said:

Thanks, I know some of the motor kits are being regulated to some degree in the USA, but any left over can be sold. Is it more that its a motorized vehicle or the environmental effects of the motor that is the issue in Australia and the UK.

Anything that is homemade and has an engine has to be tested by the Ministry of Transport its an expensive form of an MOT costs about £400 then it would need taxing and insuring etc.In other words all this country is bothered about is how much cash they can squeeze out of you and if they can not get no cash out of it the simply ban it .

I got the number plates fabricated, painted and mounted. The vinyl letters and numbers should be done in a few days. I went with a gold machine turned finish with black borders. This build is quickly coming to completion. One big hing I can't decide on is whether or not to put the head light I have on. I suppose I can drill the mounting hole and just try it.

POR928S said:

Just a word of advice I'd move the idle pulley to under the other side of the chain, as the engine pulls the chain forward it creates a lot of upward torque onto that pulley and being plastic it will wear out quickly or break, on the slack side of the chain it will keep the chain tight but not be effected by the engine's torque and therefore last much longer and create less drag on the motor. Other than that one little detail the bike looks amazing, truly nice work.

Back