1963 Schwinn Racer "Plain and simple"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got this frame from Kram and went from there!
-The bottom bracket and headset were pieced together from throwaways at my work. Polished them up and looked like new.
-Wheels and tires are off of my Typhoon. Tires are 90's era specialized fatboys.
-Drive train was pieced together from spare bmx chain, and throw away chainring from work.
-Bars were off exer-cycle; grips off of a stingray.
-Saddle came off my old BMX race bike.

Fun bike to build and ride! Gets a lot of compliments. I was going to paint it after I primed it, but after I put it all together, the color just kinda worked. Maybe a paint job in the future, but it's too much fun to ride to take it all apart again! :lol:

bulidoffframe.jpg

racermockup.jpg

Tried a couple different wheel combos. Liked the dual 26's the best.
IMGP0421.jpg

IMGP0422.jpg

IMGP0423.jpg

IMGP0424.jpg

IMGP0420.jpg

COOL 8) plain and simple you've inspierd me to build one just like yours ,,very cool

Awesome! This is kind of my "take THAT!" to the fixie crowd. Fat 26's and a coaster brake and people STILL ask me if it's a fixed gear.. :lol:

I love SIMPLE. Nice job, I like it. When you start adding a lot of different things, it can get kind of gaudy. Kinda goes along with my life's mptto (bigger ain't always better).

Thanks guys! I can't believe I finished a build off bike... :lol:

I dig minimalism and this is that. So thats that and i dig it. (nice bike) I may vote for this based on your audacity alone!

Thanks Mark! It's a blast to ride. Gear ratio is pretty much perfect.

Ej599- That means a lot coming from you seeing as how you have the absolute cooOOOooolest diamond frame build off bike!

I'm a big fan of Schwinn Racers, (I have a '59) red primer and whitewalls. I never thought of combining all 3. Looks fast. Those tires are great. Did you clearcoat it?

ej599 said:
I'm a big fan of Schwinn Racers, (I have a '59) red primer and whitewalls. I never thought of combining all 3. Looks fast. Those tires are great. Did you clearcoat it?

Kinda.. It was bare metal when I got it, so I threw that red on there to protect it. Then I kinda liked the color so I put one layer of clear on and it darkened it too much for my liking, so I started to sand it off. That's when I started getting drivetrain parts so I just started riding it and haven't done anything since.. :lol: I guess it gives it a kind of "aged" look.

Latest posts

Back