1963 Stingray???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2579.JPG
Found this local one today, frame, fork, and crank all date to 5/1/63. Any input appreciated. Original color is red. Serial e311861. This may be the earliest stingray/typhoon? Ive seen

Being that it has been repainted, it's really hard to say if it's a stingray or a typhoon. Unfortunately the serial number will not tell you the model. If you can carefully remove the outer layers of paint to reveal a stingray logo that would be cool. It looks like it has some cool parts. Not many of which would be correct for a 63 stingray which leads me to think that someone modified a typhoon in the late 60s when all of those parts were available. It's a neat bike and could make a nice custom. Just my .02

E3 would be the right era serial number for a May 63 Sting Ray, and the only frame used from 63 to mid 65(?) are short frames - The later "Junior" model is the same frame; they just called them juniors after the longer frame was introduced after mid 65...
To verify it was a originally built as a Sting Ray, you would have to see if the original red matches the terra cotta red. I think the other Schwinn models had the more commonly seen radiant red. I've never seen a Terra-Cotta bike in person, so I couldn't judge which it is. Cool find regardless - I'm jealous!

Last edited:
Back