1966 Schwinn Frankenray (does this qualify as a rat rod?)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC_5521_2.JPG

Here it is siting on Main Street in Ardmore, Oklahoma during a little trip I took.

franken2.jpg

Action shot of my sister riding it.

Picked up this bike for $40 from Waupaca, WI. It's a Typhoon and anyone who's into old Schwinns knows Typhoons don't look like this.
To give it a Stingray look, someone added the apehangers and banana seat at some point. To my knowledge, both are non-Schwinn. The seat is a Messenger though.

When I got it, the sissy bar truss rods were broken off at the bottom and the original large holes to bolt it on were totally unusable, so I broke that part off, hammered them flat, drilled smaller holes and bolted it on using the holes for the fender braces. (I have no intentions of putting fenders on this bike.)

Since this is a little kid's bike it has the Lucky 7 sprocket and a tiny crank, which makes it really easy to ride, but it gets a little nuts at high speeds. It's kinda fun because you get a lot of ground clearance so going over curbs is a breeze, but riding long distances or trying to go fast on this thing can get tough. I'm still trying to decide if I want to put a longer crank on it.

Great bike overall though. So much lighter and easier to maneuver than my cruisers. The photos make it look better than it is. Its totally crappy looking but totally solid and quiet too - rides like a dream after I cleaned and repacked all the bearings with Phil Wood grease.

I've got a '77 26" Typhoon (that is in great shape, hardly a rat), a cantilever Daisy Daisy Huffy tandem, and an old Sears that I'm turning into a rat rod. Just need to find some rims.

Looks like a Rat Rod to me!

Very cool bike...perfect combo of wear and parts.

Make sure you do an Intro so everyone gets to meet you. :wink:

Back