1967 coppertone 3-speed huffy rail

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Found this on craigslist.Very cool bike needs a little clean up.Looks all original except for the pedals.Not sure if the shifter is correct.Also not sure if it had a console for the shifter does not have any scratches where it would have been.Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks
131_0048.jpg

131_0049.jpg

Nice bike... The shifter is not correct.. The first year rail had a shifter mount weilded to the frame .If that mount isnt there & theres no frame /paint damage in the shifter area then it was a console shift bicycle. Nice find if you decide to $ell it or trade please contact me I have a lot of potnetial trades .. Ive been wanting a orange rail.. :D

Neat find!

Actually, the shifter IS correct for that bike, and it may not have had the Control Console oncovering the shifter. A lot of the early 3-Spd Rails just has the Shimano Click Shift shifter, and didn't have the top chrome case.

The 5-Spd version had the welded on shifter, but I think that was only in 1966. In 1967 they used a clamp on 5-Spd version with the chrome Control Console cover.

It even has the original tires!

Re: Neat find!

Im supprised about that one I thought for sure with the plastic white cover it wasnt a original shifter ? Like they say you learn somthing new every day... :D
rfeagleye said:
Actually, the shifter IS correct for that bike, and it may not have had the Control Console oncovering the shifter. A lot of the early 3-Spd Rails just has the Shimano Click Shift shifter, and didn't have the top chrome case.

The 5-Spd version had the welded on shifter, but I think that was only in 1966. In 1967 they used a clamp on 5-Spd version with the chrome Control Console cover.

Re: Neat find!

rfeagleye said:

rf is 100% correct The pedals are incorrect it should have Red Line pedals on it and are tough to find. The grips should be gold Hunt Wildes it's hard to tell but your grips look like the later molded Huffy grips. Don't get me wrong this is an awesome find. This is only the 4th gold '67 Rail I've ever seen. I found one in the spring of this year. Mine has a shifter console but is not as clean as yours. Congratulations, definitely a keeper.

DSCN0280.jpg

DSCN0284.jpg

DSCN0286.jpg
[/img]

Your bike is very nice.I just sold a pair of gold grips a few days before I got the bike.
I have a set of red band padals that I was holding back for another project but I think that they will look much better on this bike.
Thanks for the information.I will post some pictures when i get it all cleaned up.

All cleaned up.Found the correct grips.Still looking for a nice set of pedals.Everything else looks original
Cleaned up nice rides great.
100_0072_zpse9f8354f.jpg

Looks great!

She came out nice! You find some great stuff on CL down there!

Latest posts

Back