1968 Schwinn(must see!!!)UPDATES 11/29

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres a bike ive been working on for a while. bourght it for $30 from a guy that owns a bike shop near me. all it had was the forks and the kickstand. had all the other parts laying around so i cut up the frame, stretched it out, and tossed it together. got the chain from an online store, everything else is either garbage picked or bought at a garage sale. im planning to re-paint it the original Campus Green, and put some s-7 wheels on it. im planning to put a smaller crank on it, becasue where you sit on the bike, you'd basically be kicking your self in the chin with your knees. but before i can ride it, i have to add a top tube going across the top, to reinforce the frame. oh and i have a tan cruiser seat for it too. might run fenders. what do you guys think?
DSCN5509.jpg

DSCN5510.jpg

DSCN5515.jpg
dig the harley style kickstand? i heated the original and bent it. :mrgreen:

Re: 1968 Schwinn(must see!!!)

That's wild, man!! I like the fact that you're keeping the original color! Personally, I think it'd be neat if you built it as if it was a factory frame- green & white S seat, chrome fenders, maybe a stretched chainguard w/an original decal... :D ~Adam

thanks. and the handlebars, im cutting them up and morphing them as well. I was actually thinking about the chaingaurd. i have one i could stretch. it would take some work, but i could do it. think i should run whitewalls or blackwalls? and i want a green & white S set, but i just cant find one for sale. i know a guy that has a green schwinn, but he's keeping the seat. and i know where i could get fenders, and decals. but what do you think should go on the decal? anybody got ideas? :D

i like it, i like it alot.

old schwinn's just seem to make killa burrito's
this was my campus green 1967 sting ray
IMG_1662.jpg

that bike would look cool with a banana seat over the rear tire.
i think fenders are a must (or at least parcial fenders) if ya ride it on wet pavement your gonna get soaked without em.
also what about making the frame stronger by adding supports between the 2 bars instead of adding another bar? you could add bars on a 45* making triangular supports. it would strengthen the frame without changing the lines.

but what do you think should go on the decal? anybody got ideas?
My sense of humor, I'd get 2 Breeze decals, and make it a "Breeeeeze"! :lol: I think it'd be sweet with stock, full size chrome fenders, gumwalls, and of course matching Schwinn grips! ~Adam

well i wanted to make it a boys frame from the begining, by getting a long length of tubing and putting a small arch on it like the schwinn frames have. and i plan to put supports going from the bottom bracket(more like top bracket now. lol) to the bottom tube, and someother places like that. yeah, and if i ride it with fenders, im gonna bob them. idk about the banana seat though. i want to keep the cruiser theme, and its gotta have one of those seats to be a cruiser. im definitly gonna search for those schwinn grips. i dont think i could run a chaingaurd tho. chains too long, accidentally maimed the tab when i cut up the frame, and then chain moves up and down quite a bit when i hit bumps. and i think it would look better without one anyways. and besides, i paid $13 for that gold(more like brass) chain, im gonna show it off. its the bikes bling man! lol dig the stingray man. i read the thread about it. my friend despised me for cutting up that frame.
oh, check out this wild schwinn i found on another forum(not a bikes forum)
DSCF1868Medium.jpg

DSCF1870Medium.jpg

Man that is one of the coolest schwinn bikes I have ever seen. I am building a trike from an old schwinn girls bike for my brother. It has a tank on it and I am planning to do some modifications to the frame. I will post pics when I get started on it.

Extra sweet 8) !!!!!Nicely done.

thanks guys. since im only 15, this really makes me feel good. but i want to do a good job on it, and get the right stuff, so that might take a bit of searching. speaking of which.. does anybody have any green schwinn grips? those slim line ones, with the metalflake. ooh! and a green & white S seat too.

stretch where are you from man? how much are you wantin to spend on that schwinn S seat and grips? ive got a green seat on the green sparkle grips i think your lookin for. pm me and lemme know what your looking to spend

Easy E

got some updates for the bike.. got the seat and grips from elvis51.. thanks again bud! :mrgreen:
so i got some handlebars done up, welded up a plate to mount the seat, and added reinforcement to keep the frame from flexing.
Picture001.jpg
Picture002.jpg
Picture003.jpg

ta da! any ideas? id get paint but 'tis the season and ive got no work, so no cash to spare on ppls gifts OR bikes. dang. :cry: :wink:

thanks for the shout out stretch!!! the seat and grips look great on the bike bro. im glad you posted some pics of it. lookin good man.

Easy E

Im diggin it!

I've had my stretch/burrito in mock-up for a year now...I sould be pedal scrapin' in '09!

How does it steer/handle with that layed back head steer angle? Mines about that radical too.

ehh.. flops like a sun-of-a-gun. steerings about as wide as a tank. lol no joke. takes a whole street to turn a corner. :mrgreen: :lol: but im used to it so i havent fallen once... i fell twice :lol:

Yeah,Im planning on the steering being a little tricky...at least I wont have far to fall. :mrgreen:

Back