1970 26" Typhoon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
landed this in an estate sale today , missing fenders so I think I will throw some 57 mm on it some apes and roll with it . I really need to turn loose of some of my other bicycles .......

Attachments

• IMG_3692.JPG
    IMG_3692.JPG
    350.5 KB
Sounds like a good idea. The 3G 57mm rims seemed to make my old Schwinn way faster and lighter. The 2.125 tires fit nicely.
Copper would look good with that green.:bigboss:

53copperSchwinn_zps393ca9bd - Copy.jpg

Sounds like a good idea. The 3G 57mm rims seemed to make my old Schwinn way faster and lighter. The 2.125 tires fit nicely.
Copper would look good with that green.:bigboss:

View attachment 48950
Yea there is something about them that just set it off. I bought another 24" Typhoon from a friend who is actually in this group and it is the best ridding bike I have , next to my Elgin . Thanks yours looks pretty nice .

Attachments

• IMG_2812.JPG
    IMG_2812.JPG
    302.3 KB
I was meaning to ask what tire are you running on that ?

That's actually not a Typhoon, it's a Schwinn ballooner from 53, A Typhoon is middleweight bike, but will take a 2.125 tire also, as my 1980 Typhoon shows here, plain old beach cruiser tires.

The original wheels won't though, they are 1 3/4s, Schwinn S-7. There's not much selection in that size. It's good to go with a standard size 26", tons of tire choices.

Those tires were typhoon cord repops, 26 x 2.125, (on the red bike) on the copper 57mm rims. On your frame, that's as wide a tire as you can probably go with a 57mm rim. A smooth tread pattern really makes a difference. I didn't try the 57mm rims on my Typhoon, but they would have fit.

2zso5g3.jpg

That's actually not a Typhoon, it's a Schwinn ballooner from 53, A Typhoon is middleweight bike, but will take a 2.125 tire also, as my 1980 Typhoon shows here, plain old beach cruiser tires.

The original wheels won't though, they are 1 3/4s, Schwinn S-7. There's not much selection in that size. It's good to go with a standard size 26", tons of tire choices.

Those tires were typhoon cord repops, 26 x 2.125, (on the red bike) on the copper 57mm rims. On your frame, that's as wide a tire as you can probably go with a 57mm rim. A smooth tread pattern really makes a difference. I didn't try the 57mm rims on my Typhoon, but they would have fit.

View attachment 48952
I have them on my 24" typhoon rides fast and it is all the tire it will hold (2.125). Running Tioga tires . I would like to run a set of thick slick 2.0 on a 57mm and see how they look .

Just to try out different sizes, I put a 26 x 1.75 on the same set of copper 57mm rims. I'd worry about damaging the rims with 1.75 but I think thick slicks 2.0 would look good.
2n0kkzb.jpg

Latest posts

Back