1970 schwinn stingray fair lady

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
On my route to and from work I happened to spot the tail end of what I thought looked like a stingray in the back of a trailer in a pasture.

Kept looking at it every time I would pass wondering if indeed it was a stingray. Well today I went by and a lady was working in the yard so I made a u-turn and went to ask. Told her that I would like to see what it was and if she would be willing to part with it.

Turns out it was a 20 inch stingray fair lady. She originally wanted $10, but later said take it. I told her I would see if I could get it going and maybe donate it.

There is good news bad news with this bike though. Good news it appears to be complete, bad news it's been outside a long time. Everything is stuck. Got the handlebars turned to get it into back of car, but everything else is stuck.

It has the traction slick on the rear, the brick tread tire on front, both are pretty well gone. Chrome fenders, handle bar, rims are as you would expect. lots of surface rust and maybe deeper. Rims look solid, dark colored banana seat is rough. It is the purple color, can make out the lettering on the chain guard. Will get a better look in the sun light saturday.

Are these worth trying to do anything with? Don't know if it could be cleaned up and made ridable again. May be just a heap if I can't get things unstuck. Or a candidate to do a custom with. Don't know if I want to spend too much on it though. Guess that depends on if I can get it unstuck.

Will get some pics over the weekend.

found the number on the head tube DG061828. Using the data base I found it was built in '71. Got pics but have to get them off the camera.

Here are the pics;
Fairlady01.jpg

#2 Chainring looks barely used
fairlady02.jpg

fairlady03.jpg

#4 Seat pan might be total loss
fairlady04.jpg

#5 bendix coaster
fairlady05.jpg

fairlady06.jpg

#7 looks solid
fairlady07.jpg

#8 worst of the rim rust
fairlady08.jpg

fairlady09.jpg

Good bike! Don't let it die... Take a look at Rat Rods latest video and see what some of the boys are riding and jumping! That bike is better than any 20" bought today!

I spent the afternoon tearing down the fair lady. It is about what you would expect from a bike that has been outside so long. All bearings will need replaced. Tires were shot to the point of crumbling. Ended up cutting off rear. Beads were totally ate up to the cords.

That leads to the rims. Front is in good shape, but hub is not great. one side looks good , other is very rusted. Needs at least a new hub and re-laced.

Rear end wasn't as nice. still haven't gotten the hub to spin. Rim had a lot of inner rust. It cleaned up ok, but think it will take more wire work to finish.

Crank is still froze. I thought it might just be that nasty chain, but I got it to go about an 1/8th turn and without using force it won't go further. Best to just tear it apart and start over.

Same with steering. It turns but is very crusty.

So, this bike can go a couple ways. Spend as little as possible on it and just get it riding. All bearings replaced, hubs rebuilt or replaced, maybe re-lace the wheels. New tires/tubes. Find a decent seat. Then clean up paint and chrome best it can and be done.

Or, total custom. Still going to need all the parts and work above, just go further, total strip, new paint, new parts, etc.

Verdict, Can it be saved? Yes, but at what cost? And is it worth it?

Bad news is it will have to get inline behind other projects.

Thats gonna make some lil girl happy one day ...

~Rafael~

More good news bad news.
First the bad, I won't be building this bike, but

Good news it is going to a good home where it will be made ridable and some lucky lady at next years bikes in the ballfield will be very happy. I will try and update with pics of that moment!

Back